Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've been reading lots of posts on here and thought I had a solution to my problem but after some investigating I ain't so sure. I'll start with the symptoms:

Main HE 30 Combi.

Differential valve push rod stuck out, so micro-switch was always engaged, so constant hot water demand. Lots of crap around where the push rod comes out too. Hot water works fine - when I need it!!

I removed micro-switch just to test the heating. It came on, but the burn only lasted for maybe 30 seconds, then stopped, then after maybe a minute it would start a burn again, only to repeat.

This made me wonder if the push rod issue wasn't the only problem, but I had a look. I got a diaphragm repair kit, turned the inlet / outlets off and ran a hot tap. Quite a bit of dripping when I removed the front of the differential valve, which scared me a bit so I stopped! The differential mechanism was totally solid, the spring would not move at all.

Does this sound like a differential parts (spring, rod, diaphragm etc) replacement, or a problem further back, into the diverter valve. Baxi suggest it is but I would like a second opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Baxi suggest it is but I would like a second opinion.
Try another boiler manufacturer then and see what they say, why would the company that built the boiler know anything about it, there are very good reasons why Baxi didnt give you the replies that you wanted , get a registered gas engineer with experience of the boiler in or get a Baxi fixed price repair

I've called a couple engineers and they weren't keen on doing a repair with it being an old boiler. Baxi charge £300+ for it so was hoping to have a go myself. Hoping to find someone on here with experience of that boiler.

I've called a couple engineers and they weren't keen on doing a repair with it being an old boiler. Baxi charge £300+ for it so was hoping to have a go myself. Hoping to find someone on here with experience of that boiler.

Surprised no one want to fix it, its quite a common boiler, you need to ring more people , or go onto baxi website and search for their approved installers near to your post code.

Sponsored Links
I will try a few more engineers...

I just emailed Baxi technical with a question and they got back to me, pretty quickly actually. I had read about protecting the pcb so was careful, and its fine - at least it's doing what it it did before after I put it back together!

Any ideas what would cause the heating burn to stop and start? As if something is stopping the burn after about 20 30 seconds? Could this be diverter valve related?

Cheers

Any ideas what would cause the heating burn to stop and start? As if something is stopping the burn after about 20 30 seconds? Could this be diverter valve related?
Ring baxi tech and they will talk you through it

After they get a GS number and name I think

Other option is all knowing people that know every thing about everything, boilers included
He already emailed baxi for tech help..did not realise that was option without gs number

Durhamplumber, did you not say “Ring baxi tech and they will talk you through it”?
In which case GS number will be required

Keep phoning around, these are simple boilers and the diverter assembly has been around for 20 years...anyone involved in boiler repairs will have come across it.

Durhamplumber, did you not say “Ring baxi tech and they will talk you through it”?
In which case GS number will be required
Indeed i did...but the OP emailed baxi for help and rcd it.I did not realise one could do that without a gs number...makes a mockery of the safety check

• Thanks
Reactions: DP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back