Main Bond Plastic-Coated Copper Gas Pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Just had a gas pipe moved from the side of the house to a trench - it's plastic-coated copper. The main gas incomer (plastic - not bonded) enters the house then exits again (via meter) and dissapears into a trench for about 8m before re-entering house. Would you suggest a main bond connection to this? My copy of the Electricians Guide just says 'metalwork'.

On a related note, the water pipe (lead) has just been replaced by a plastic one (same trench only deeper:) so I guess I now remove the bond from that?
Thanks in advance,
Neal

Sponsored Links
Bonding should be carried out within 600mm of the gas stop cock on the house side. If the meter is external to the building (like yours methinks) then the bonding should be made at the point of entry to the building and before any branch or joint. OK?

For the water, I'll assume that the pipework in the building is copper? I assume that there will be a stop cock on the end of your (new) plastic water main where it joins your copper pipework. The main earth bond should be made there again within 600mm of this stopcock.

Remember the need for bonding is to tie all of the pipework in the house to the same potential (mains earth) it is not to 'pick up an earth' from the water/gas supply pipe!

TTC

Which, in the case of water has not been allowable since 1966, and in the case of gas has never been allowed.

With regards to the gas pipe you will need to remove some of the plastic coating, and connect your earth clamp to the copper part of the pipe.

Sponsored Links
RF. Normally, the plastic served gas pipe is used on the supply side and as bonding is done on the consumer side there's no probs as the pipe is all regular copper.
I agree, in this case, if he is to bond at the meter he has plastic served pipe on both sides so some has to be cut back to allow the bonding clamp to be attached.
Or he can bond at point of entry to the house.

TTC

Okey dokey - thanks v. much for replies. Actually most internal water pipe is plastic except in the immediate vicinity of the boiler (and visible radiator tails). Also, the meter's inside - the pipe (plastic, obviously) enters the house and then almost immediately exits again (having been through meter) to re-enter about 8 (ish) m further along. Transco would have moved the meter outside (fixed a leak) but only onto a porch we're going to knock down...
Thanks again,
Neal

Due to your installation, you may wish to consider bonding the gas pipe at both the meter and the point of re-entry.

securespark said:
Due to your installation, you may wish to consider bonding the gas pipe at both the meter and the point of re-entry.
Funnily enough, it just occured to me to ask that - it would be trivial to do (first point of entry of gas pipe next to CU, second next to water incomer).
Regards,
Neal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back