Main Combi 24HE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my mum has had a Main Combi 24HE installed recently however the installer saw fit to install the thermostat in a room that has no radiator so im looking at moving it or possably replacing it with a wireless one.

The boiler has a intergrated 24h timer so im wondering if it's worth just replacing the stat or replacing the whole timer?

I've had a quick look and i seem to have 2 basic choices if i replace the timer, Tower(Wireless Plug-in RF BM Thermostat) seem to do a wireless one that will fit in the place that the existing timer goes or replace it with something like the cm927 and leave the existing one in place.

The one thing that did occur to me is that it's there because the boiler doent have a built in frost stat which means I'll need to put one in as well.
What are your recomendations?

Cheers
Dan

Sponsored Links
We would need more information.

For example if you have TRVs on all your rads as you should and the room will pick up heat from the rest of the house then that may not be so bad.

Why is there no rad in this room? Whats heats it?

Are you totally sure there is no frost protection built into that boiler? That would be very unusual!

Tony

Hi,
I'm pretty sure none of the rads have TRV's fitted, infact im 99% if there is then it will be the 1 new rad that was put in recently.
The room is a kitchen at the back of the house, with 2 exposed sides and 3/4 of the room has a slanted roof. So heat transfer is very little from the rest of the house.

I have no idea why there's not a radiator in that room. I think it was templar removed when the boiler was last replaced (~3 years ago) pending a extension that hasn't happened. I was surprised that they didn't get one put in when this one went in, even if it was just a plinth heater!
Currently it's heated by a portable gas heater.

The frost stat was a sudden realisation when looking at the install guide that it mentions it. I had a quick goggle and found a brochurehere
that says "integral frost thermostat (boiler protection only)" "no" for the 24HE..

Im leaning to replacing the built in timer with a cm927.

Cheers
Dan

Hi, my mum has had a Main Combi 24HE installed recently however the installer saw fit to install the thermostat in a room that has no radiator ...
At the very least, the installer was a cowboy, and quite possibly illegal. I recommend you contact GSR asap, and tell them that you have serious doubts about the safety of the installation.

Sponsored Links
Is your boiler outside the thermal envelope of the building? If not then the frost thermostat is not a requirement.

At the very least, the installer was a cowboy, and quite possibly illegal. I recommend you contact GSR asap, and tell them that you have serious doubts about the safety of the installation.
There on the gas register so at least there legal.
What will the GSR do? come and inspect the install?
Not understanding/relising that theres no rad in the room may be the only issue.

Is your boiler outside the thermal envelope of the building? If not then the frost thermostat is not a requirement.
What do you mean thermal envelope?
Its' in the main building but is the coldest room in the house, for £20 I might as well put one in.

Tower(Wireless Plug-in RF BM Thermostat) seem to do a wireless one that will fit in the place that the existing timer goes

Excellent bit of kit and soooo easy to install and use

HI, Ive poped down and have had a look at the install.
They have put TRVs on all but one rad (the bathroom).
looking at the location i think i'll get the tower as it'll be a easyer/cleaner install as long as it has a party mode like the cm927

thanks
dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back