Main eco elite 25 combi whine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening!

We had a Main eco elite 25 installed in November 2014. It's always worked well but recently it has developed an annoying whine when the central heating is on. It doesn't whine all the time and takes a few minutes to get going but I used to be able to stop it by a quick run of the hot tap but this is now not doing the job and anyway, presumably there is an underlying problem or it wouldn't be doing this in the first place?

I'd wondered whether the problem could be the fan or the diverter valve. I'm leaning towards diverter valve as if it was the fan I wouldn't expect running the hot tap would make any difference.

I live in a hard water area though not sure if this makes any difference? Having done some research it looks like this boiler has a diverter valve cartridge which sits underneath the valve actuator actually inside the diverter valve 'assembly' (probably not the correct term!!). Would this cartridge be likely to get problems from limescale? Could it be taken out and cleaned up?

full

Anyway, i'm fairly handy at plumbing and would like to know whether this is a job that can be DIY'd (assuming you guys even think it is the valve) or whether it is likely to be something else/the fan and best left to the professionals.

Just to add: CH/DHW both work fine. It's just this annoying whine which is driving us mad... :LOL:

TIA

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I went to a boiler with a somewhat similar diverter valve a few months ago and a n intermittent whine from the diverter valve.

Traced it to a slightly weak rubber ring seal on one of the shuttles inside.

That is the only time I have ever seen that problem!

Tony.

Providing it's had a service and registered it will still be in warranty you need to call Baxi service.

Sponsored Links
Providing it's had a service and registered it will still be in warranty you need to call Baxi service.
It's outside its 2 year warranty sadly.

most likely the diverter valve cartridge, nothing to stop you doing it yourself and it is a very easy job.
Thanks Ian. That looks like the same part I found last night online. I figured for under £15 it's worth a go if it's an easy fix.

So a case of electrically isolating boiler, shut off flow/return valves for the CH and isolate DHW feed to boiler also. Drain down boiler and swap out the cartridges. Thanks guys!

It's outside its 2 year warranty sadly.

Thanks Ian. That looks like the same part I found last night online. I figured for under £15 it's worth a go if it's an easy fix.

So a case of electrically isolating boiler, shut off flow/return valves for the CH and isolate DHW feed to boiler also. Drain down boiler and swap out the cartridges. Thanks guys!
I wouldnt shut off the isolation valves as they might leak when you open them again,and no need to islolate the DHW cold feed only primary water in the valve, drain boiler, electricity off polythene bag over the pcb cover and towel so you dont drip any water on the electrics and you are good to go

I wouldnt shut off the isolation valves as they might leak when you open them again,and no need to islolate the DHW cold feed only primary water in the valve, drain boiler, electricity off polythene bag over the pcb cover and towel so you dont drip any water on the electrics and you are good to go
Thanks. I'd assumed that the water in the CH system would want to escape but our boiler is upstairs anyway so actually I shouldn't lose too much water. Will leave the ISO valves alone.

I wasn't sure on the cold feed for DHW which was why I was going to do it but if I can skip that step too all the better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back