main fuse tripped

If it was a metal back box it may be just the live screw has come into
If it was a metal back box it may be just the live screw has come into contact with it.

Yep im pretty sure that's what happened
Check out the metal tab at the top of the box... its all scorched

It is positioned right above the live screw so
Ive removed that tab

Sponsored Links
I find that hard to believe.

1. Fuses don't trip, they rupture, or "blow".
  2. The main fuse can only be replaced by the DNO - did they attend today?
  3. The protective device in your for that circuit really should have operated before the service fuse went.

This is the thing that tripped in the meter box.

Apologies if I called it the wrong thing

The fuse on the cpnsumer unit also tripped.

Apologies if I called it the wrong thing

The fuse on the consumer unit also tripped.
You gave it the correct name it is a breaker not sure of type maybe the old LoadMaster MCB or it could be a moulded breaker. I do like the comment "fuse on the consumer unit also tripped" clearly you do know to trip it must be a breaker not a fuse, your just rubbing it in that BAS put his foot in it. Good on you.

You gave it the correct name it is a breaker
No, he called it a fuse.

And he is still calling breakers "fuses".

your just rubbing it in that BAS put his foot in it. Good on you.
I stand by everything I said, which was all about very much doubting that his "main entry fuse in the meter box" operated.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't be hard would it! I had a L-E accident on a circuit protected by a FE stablok 6A, did not open.

I'd just knock both the top and bottom lugs back with a hammer and punch/chisel so they are flush with the box as they are not needed.

Wouldn't be hard would it! I had a L-E accident on a circuit protected by a FE stablok 6A, did not open.
I've also had similar, 30A MCB, buried ring cable drilled through by BT engineer, fault only cleared when copper had burnt away almost 1.5 inches either side of where the drill hit. MCB didn't trip. Apparently the bang was spectacular. Their RCBOs never seem to work either, and it's a gamble if switching the MCBs off will open the contacts.

There's a reason they're all being binned! I've still got the one that didn't open, I've got 5 x 5A so don't know which one it was, but tempted to bust some open and see what's going on inside.

Crabtree C50's were far better built than most of the stuff available today. Back in the early 1970's the "fixer-upper" 1930's house we moved into needed a full rewire and my father fitted a board of C50 breakers. At that time, I'm sure it must have been the only C50-equipped house in the street, even if not the only house in the street with breakers rather than fuses.

As for the Federal name, Federal Pacific over here has a bad reputation for breakers not tripping properly, and other problems. I believe at one point it was discovered that they'd been falsely claiming UL approval.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back