main switch & fuse identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds daft, but does anyone know of a publication that lists fuses, main switches etc in a format that has pictures & bs numbers etc? Only it seems to me there is a market for such a publication to help people recognise the multitude of different devices that are & have been used!
Thanks if anyone can help.

Sponsored Links
You can post a pic on this site and someone will tell you, or alternativly have a look in the wiki.

There arn't actually that many different types out there.

Most cutout fuses are BS1361 (new), BS88 (medium) or BS3036 (old)

Main switches BSEN60947-3 (virtually all new ones) BS5419 (old wylex type)

Sponsored Links
Most fuse manufacturers do charts to show the multitude of fuses, their part numbers, equivalents from other manufacturers and BS numbers. Bussmann used to do a really good book, and I believe MEM did a little laminated chart. Get in touch with the people that make them now and see what they can offer. Most wholesalers have something like this hanging up near the fuse rack. You could try asking to see it, or where it came from.

Main switch wise, I'm not so sure. What are you after here? A Spotter's guide to electrical isolators? Most of them (as fuses do) tend to have manufacturer and part numbers on them. I used to pride myself on identifying old electrical stuff and getting replacements!. Anyone remember Whippendell contactors or Federal breakers?

Although, I have to admit, the internet makes it sooooo easy these days!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back