Main Water Supply / Meter - What to do now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started a thread a month ago and recently received a reply from my water co (Thames water). I was wondering how to proceed.

My original thread is here.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=282788&start=0

I have attached photo of the set up and 2 drawings below. The first drawing (basic), I enclosed in correspondence to Thames water and a more detailed one which I have since put together.

In brief my request to Thames water was that they install an external stop valve on the branch supplying my neighbour's terraced property (Terrace 2) and located on the communication pipe (ie under pavement and prior to it reaching the boundaries of any property).

Thames water's reply is as follows:

Every property should have a means to isolate their supply, without relying on the outside stop valve (OSV) located in the public footpath. This should be by way of an internal stop valve (ISV) within the boundary of or the property itself. If, in this case, the supply is shared, it would be common courtesy if the water supply is needed to be turned off, to notify the neighbouring property.

Regrettably, we would not look into installing a secondary OSV on the public footway as there is already an existing OSV which operates both properties and the proposed location is on the private section of pipework, for which we are not responsible

For clarity, I requested that an additional stop cock servicing my neighbour's property be installed in the public footpath (not on private property).

May I also add, that my terraced house is some 15-20years old and the neighbouring terrace is Victorian.

The person who sent the letter from Thames water enclosed a tel number in the event that I wished to discuss this further.

I am unsure as to where I stand so any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

View media item 35754 View media item 36516 View media item 36517

Sponsored Links
You should have continued the same thread. When I give free advice I dont like to have to follow links when its not necessary. Luckily I remember your situation.

My view is that TW are quite correct and thats the reply that I would expect. But I would also expect them to offer to add a stopcock at your/neighbour's cost.

However, I still dont see how that meter can be connected so that the integral stopcock controls BOTH properties but only meters yours!

Tony

Thames water don't need to add stop cocks to a property.
They provide the stop cock in the street this may switch off one or more properties and it ends there.

Whats hard about this ? your neigbours should just fit an internal stop tap
thats it, then you would not suffer any inconvenience.

If there isnt one or thay cant find it they should fit a new one.. easy !

Tell them that legally they cannot turn your water off, if they do you will turn it back on any damage or water in their property is there problem as they should have a stop tap !

I know thats not a realistic point but its not a difficult problem to resolve.

Thames water have said they should have an internal stop tap !!!!!
Joking aside I belive it is illegal to turn your water off without your permission.

I would want to make sure that through some strange hydraulic back pressure phenonema when your not using water and they are the meter isnt revolving some how, take a reading when you know no ones at home for a while and check the readings the same when you get back before the waters turned on or used !!!!!

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies. Armed with the info which you have provided I will call Thames water next week and see what it would cost and whether we can negotiate the price.

Agile said:
However, I still dont see how that meter can be connected so that the integral stopcock controls BOTH properties but only meters yours!
Looking at my more detailed diagram ie the one on the right, I am Terrace 1, neighbours Terrace 2. Is it not possible for there to be a Y connecter after the main stop valve as I have drawn?

Many thanks for your kind help.

Cheers

Whats hard about this ? your neigbours should just fit an internal stop tap
thats it, then you would not suffer any inconvenience.

If there isnt one or thay cant find it they should fit a new one.. easy !

Tell them that legally they cannot turn your water off, if they do you will turn it back on any damage or water in their property is there problem as they should have a stop tap !

I know thats not a realistic point but its not a difficult problem to resolve.

Thames water have said they should have an internal stop tap !!!!!
Joking aside I belive it is illegal to turn your water off without your permission.

I would want to make sure that through some strange hydraulic back pressure phenonema when your not using water and they are the meter isnt revolving some how, take a reading when you know no ones at home for a while and check the readings the same when you get back before the waters turned on or used !!!!!
Neighbours are a bit ladida. Whenever water is cut off I do remind them to get an internal stop valve fitted (to no avail so far).

As regards my meter turning when they use water. I did test this to make sure, in that I asked for them to turn on their kitchen water tap for 15 secs and my water meter did not turn. I see no reason to doubt that they did not so it.

Water consumption for my house, family of 4, is normal 450-500 ltrs per day.

But I will test it again just to be doubly sure.

Cheers

Next time it happens turn the water on but only at a slow flow not enough to cause damage just keep doing it till they get the picture they sound like idiots,

Or when the builders are there keep going round and saying five minutes water needs to be on get stop ends on keep doing it theyll get the picture.

You've got your answer from thames........they should have a stop tap !

Test it like I've suggested dont rely on your neighbours.

Did you ever do the test we asked you?

To read the meter and NOT use any water and read again after a time when next door would have used water?

Tony

Did you ever do the test we asked you?

To read the meter and NOT use any water and read again after a time when next door would have used water?

Tony
Not yet as the neighbours are on holiday at the moment and will only be back in a week.

I will do the test when they are back and post my results.

Cheers

Looking at my more detailed diagram ie the one on the right, I am Terrace 1, neighbours Terrace 2. Is it not possible for there to be a Y connecter after the main stop valve as I have drawn?

If you are using the hex key in the socket next to meter to shut supply off then NO :!: Tony has already told you this, and I believe it was discussed before. Those meter/stopvalve boxes are a sealed unit, with an inlet and outlet. No connection is possible between the valve and the meter!

Just out of interest, is your neighbour a large family, five persons or more!

If so, then that will be a reason NOT to install a water meter to their property, as it would be cheaper on the old rateable costings.

If they are a couple only, then it would make financial sense to install a water meter.
If the later case, the water company will install meters inside the house if it is easier and cost effective to them, free. Being that your neighbour is having building works carried out in Kitchen, this would be a good time for them to have a freely installed water meter.

Failing that, as everyone has said, get this lardida neighbour to install his own internal stop cock. :eek: Failing all of that, offer the neighbours builder £50 cash (cheaper than water company involvement) and get him to put one in for them, you might then be able to get some sleep at night. :D

I cornered the owner of the adjacent terrace today and explained the issue to him. I asked to carry out one test as follows.

I turned off the stop cock adjacent to my water meter (in the pit as per the photo).

Then.

1. I turned on the cold water of the kitchen tap in my house. The result was no water came out of my tap.

2. With the stop cock still turned off, I then asked my neighbour to turn on the cold water of the kitchen tap in his kitchen. When he turned the tap on, he had water. He left the tap on for about 20-30 secs and during that time he had running cold water (I was at the door to his house and could hear the water coming out of his tap).

Does this categorically and emphatically mean that the external stop cock adjacent to my water meter only services my house.

Cheers

Yes, unless he has a cold storage tank !

In all likelyhood Yes.

Yes, unless he has a cold storage tank !

In all likelyhood Yes.
Would the cold storage tank be situated in the loft area. Reason I ask is because these terraces have had mansard roof extensions added with flat felt roofs (slightly pitched for drainage) and no real loft space (maybe a foot or two at most).

In fact in my terrace there is no hatch or way to access the loft.

Cheers

EDIT: doing a bit of research on cold water tanks and stumbled on this page below

http://www.simplifydiy.com/plumbing-and-heating/cold-water-tank

Under the heading Introduction, it says:

aswell as all of the cold water taps in the property, with the exception of the kitchen tap.

Kitchen tap should be fed from the main supply to provide a source of safe drinking water. Tank fed taps are not suitable for drinking from.

If your stopvalve doesnt shut off neighbours supply then why do they keep using it to isolate their supply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back