Mains Cold Water Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Around what pressure should the mains cold water be? I'm seeing around 2 bar at the nearest point that I can measure to the incoming stop cock but the problem is that the cold water cistern fills very slowly & the central heating header tank wont fill at all!

We live in an old Victorian three storey house - the central heating header is in the loft & the cold water cistern is high up in the room below it. I would estimate that the cold water cistern is around 36 feet off the ground & the central heating header about 40 feet.

From memory, 2 bar should support a column of water of about 20m high.... so the upper tank should fill OK.

Any suggestions?

Adrian

Sponsored Links
Dirt in toilet float valves- remove and clean out dirt.

Supply to expansion tank has stopcock/isolation valve which is closed or faulty float valve.

Andy

Thanks for your suggestions:

Replaced ball valves yesterday, also checked rising main for restrictions - none found.

Flow rate on kitchen cold tap is fine so dont suspect restriction of main stop cock.

By 'cistern' I mean the main cold water tank which feeds the hot water cylinder. I started to get interested the other day when daughter managed to empty the tank while having a shower - this has never happened before ..... I sure it used to fill with a much higher flow ....

Have you had any work done on the plumbing that someone might have left a stopcock partly open?

Andy

Sponsored Links
Nope. Only three stop taps in the path (stop tap in street, main tap in rising main in garage & one just below the cold water tank) and all are fully open (dismantled the one below cold water tank - no restriction or blockage found).

Did a pressure test on the pipework this afternoon (fitted gauge to garden tap & turned off supply in street) lost no pressure after 10min (I was wondering if the water pipe had burst under the drive).....

Andy,

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Yes, I did change the ball valve in the loft. I stripped both of the old ones down, expecting to find them seized or blocked. Although both had a good encrusting of limescale on them, the plungers were free to move & followed the arm with no problems. I didnt find anything in the nozzles either.

I guess the thing to try is to fit the pressure gauage to the pipe in the loft & see what the static pressure is with no water being used.

Adrian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back