Mains fire/smoke detector options.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at fitting mains powered smoke/fire alarms. Standard domestic situation. I like bacon, and don't mind spending a few quid extra in order that I never again have to clamber on a chair while hung over, trying to cover my ears, pressing a button that seems only vaguely responsive.

I also don't really want to have to change batteries too regularly. There seem to be a lot of different types of detector out there... and I mean a LOT: http://www.safelincs.co.uk/smoke-alarms/

Does anyone have any opinions?

FWIW, they'll be on 1mm T&E on their own 6A RCBO, into 3core t&e.

Sponsored Links
First of all

Do you want SMOKE alarms, or a FIRE alarm system. They are very different animals and have VERY different installation requirements.

I'm guessing you really mean just smoke alarms, for a domestic installation?

I do not like to see any sort of alarm on a stand-along RCD/RCBO as you'll have little to tell you the power has switched off. Better to use a regularly used circuit (lighting eg).

First of all

Do you want SMOKE alarms, or a FIRE alarm system. They are very different animals and have VERY different installation requirements.

I'm guessing you really mean just smoke alarms, for a domestic installation?

Thanks for the reply. I'll be honest; I don't really know. Diynot is usually my first stop on the road to finding out. I think you guess correct though, so probably smoke alarm.

I do not like to see any sort of alarm on a stand-along RCD/RCBO as you'll have little to tell you the power has switched off. Better to use a regularly used circuit (lighting eg).

I had assumed that if the power to the alarm went off, the alarm would bleep (on some kind of battery) until you fixed the problem (or the backup battery ran out). Is that not the case? I realise the backup battery can run out too, I didn't think that was much worse than regular battery smoke alarms.

You don't want a smoke detector anywhere near a kitchen as cooking will set it off, a heat detector is better suited.

Sponsored Links
You don't want a smoke detector anywhere near a kitchen as cooking will set it off, a heat detector is better suited.

Three floors:
* cellar (utility room) : smoke detector
* downstairs (quite open plan) : heat detector
* upstairs : smoke detector

That sound reasonable?

There is little point installing anything as essential as this unless it is going to be effective.

There are a number of guides, here's typical one:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/EI_Smoke/Product_Guide.pdf
This includes a lot of general advice. Its also a pitch by the maker to sell you lots of alarms!

Really you are going to need a number of interconnected alarms. These will be powered by a mains supply (from a lighting circuit, usually) and the interlink circuit needs to be 3-core and earth cable.
Each alarm also has a battery so the alarm sounds if there is smoke and the power has failed.

If cabling is not your bag, or too difficult then you can get RadioLink bases for many of the top makes.

As above, you'll need at least an alarm per floor. These need to be situated so that you can hear them.

One per floor, in hall and landings, is usual but depends on the house layout. Additional units are needed if there are rooms situated some distance from the alarm. You must be able to hear the alarm from the bedroom with the door closed!
Also, as above. You need a HEAT alarm in the kitchen or the alarms will go off every time you singe the toast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back