Mains Halogen lights - cable

Ant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently installing some 50w mains halogen lights - the instructions say to loop the wiring from lamp to lamp with 2 x 0.75mm cable. I assume the stuff sold by Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=25976&id=14444 or similar will be adequate - there is only around 1.5m between each of six lamps - but I would be happy if someone could confirm this.
1.5mm is too big to be able to get 2 leads into each connecting block.

Sponsored Links
the cable size is ok, but you could always get use this and change the connector block size.

or you could run one wire from each lamp and use even bigger connector block.

But you woud be wise not to put too many lamps on the cable

Thanks for the reply Breezer. Is there any advantage of using a larger cable in this sort of set up with 6 lamps? I was trying to avoid using junction boxes by looping the lamps together - the connector blocks supplied are just about big enough but the covers wont fit back on with 2 bits of 1.5 T&E sticking out! The manufacturer suggests a maximum of 40 lamps on the circuit - this does sound a bit excessive though!

they suggest a maximum of 40 lamps due to the amount of current they would alll draw.

As I said you could have one cable from each light (6 in total) all going to one larger pair of connector terminals and conect the other side to your mains in.

That way the lids will still fit as each only has one cable

Sponsored Links
Cheers Breezer - The only problem with that may be the fact that I have limited access to each lamp location as there is a tiled floor above so this may mean excessively long cables particularly from the furthest lamps as I am having to work from one end.
Would there be an advantage to use 1mm cable?

not really an advantage. its just that 1mm is the smallest twin and earth cable you can get.

Mind you if you did use 1 x 1mm t & e cable for each lamp, because it is semi rigid you could start at the furthest end an "aim" it towards the next lamp (do not connect it) then to the next lamp (you get the idea) until you have all six cables at the connection end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back