Garden Halogen heater control?

Sponsored Links
you would need some type of very powerfull dimmer, why not take the easy option, move further away

you could try to pick up an old analog controlled stage dimmer pack that had a high enough per channel rating to handle the thing and could be controlled by a simple 0-10V signal.

Sponsored Links
Theres the government trying to remove standby's on everyday goods, & people want to heat the garden, why not put a coat on.

As I said to a fella with a thirsty car (that wasnt necessary) why do you have a car like that, BECAUSE I CAN AFFORD IT.

Takes all sorts, AS WE KNOW. :LOL:

In all fairness these are more efficient than the Gas heaters.
Either ways,its for my parents who are determined to get a heater whateever, so trying to suggest a more efficient heater should help all, plus the fact that you are not driving round changing gas cylinders (or a big truck carrying gas cylinders), has to be a good thing!
Another reason for wanting an adjuster was so that we can reduce the energy consumption of the unit when not needed at full power.

The alternative is of course to sit inside, TV on, Satelite on, amplifier and speakers on, lights (think there are 8 halogen spotlights in the lounge) on etc all on, not to mention the central heating. Which has got to add up to more than the 1.2kw of the heater!

who has central heating on in the summer? yes, we have a 24kw gas boiler, but we dont use it in the summer!

and the rest of the items you mention in the last para probably dont use any more than 500w.

amp and speakers are also not ness if you have a tv with speakers.

Ok so we can get anal! Plasma TV (therefore no speakers), 300W, speaker system 350w, sky box 30w, 8*75w halogen spots... (and yes I did go to all the effort of check the manufactueres stats! How sad!)

It adds up very quickly!

I agree with plugwash.
The only way i can think of doing it is with a mega high powered dimmer like this

Oh and you'll need a controller too.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
thats why i told him to get an old pack with 0-10V analog control then all you need is some small pots and a DC wall wart.

Cheers for the advice, looks a little complicated though, was hoping there was a simple dimmer switch (like for normal lights) that you could buy.

Giblets46 said:
Cheers for the advice, looks a little complicated though, was hoping there was a simple dimmer switch (like for normal lights) that you could buy.

no there isn't

The problems are:

the high rating of your heater (domestic dimmers only go to 1kw)

a weather proof dimmer

hence my first suggestion move further away (it doesnt sound so silly now does it?)

Diyisfun's first suggestion is the only one worthy of consideration here. Why are people in this country such whinging, whining weaklings? :LOL:

I got a thyristor device with a built in variable resistor iirc from Farnell, it is rated at 10A. I had to buy the mains filter separately. I use it on 1300w of lighting, does the job nicely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back