Mains pipe in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we've been renovating an old Victorian flat, and to cut a long story short, the mains has had to be re-routed along an external wall (prob about 1.5 metres in total).

The wall has been chased out, and the plumbers have laid 22mm copper pipe with denso tape to protect. But just before the wall was due to be rendered, I noticed the plumbers have only stuck denso tape on the facing side of the pipe, not wrapped all the way round...

The original plumbers are long gone, so I've had a go at wrapping the tape around all sides, but there's no room to feed the tape round. I've been told it shouldn't be a problem to go ahead and get the wall rendered as is, but grateful for a second opinion. Obviously not ideal if the mains pipe corrodes!

Plastic conduit of some sort might be another option I guess, but there's v little room to play with in the chasing.

Cheers. Hope that all makes sense!

Sponsored Links
Is the pipe in the corner of room? Can't it be box in?
Denso tape should be wrapped around pipe if you want it buried in wall.

Hate to see pipes buried in wall........leak when someone hang a picture.

Dan.

take off the pipe clamps and I expect you will be able to spring it out a bit.

clamp it back again afterwards

Cheers. It's an external wall, so no fear of pictures! We've been asked to chase it into the wall otherwise agreed, boxing in would be better.

Sponsored Links
External wall? Is the pipe inside or outside of wall? If outside, make sure it well insulated.

Dan.

Outside. The plumbers told me it didn't need insulating if it was buried into the wall (about 2m above ground) - is that right?

Grrrr

did these "plumbers" speak much English?

Outside. The plumbers told me it didn't need insulating if it was buried into the wall (about 2m above ground) - is that right?

Definite NO NO. I guarantee it will freeze.
Water pipes inside.
What builder/plumber even in their right mind thought that was
a good idea. Unless they are from warmer countries where they
don't have to worry about such things.

At least now you don't have to worry about the denso situation........................

:)

I can't re-route the pipe inside. There's probably about 10-15mm space between the pipe and the face of the wall, so that doesn't leave much space for lagging. I'm not mad about deeper chasing - any other options?

The plumbers were English (although I wouldn't want to vouch for how well they can speak English...) Is this listed in building regs / Gas Safe?

Cheers.

It`s in the (WRAS) water regulations - but as you`re in London ........... :mrgreen:

[
I can't re-route the pipe inside. There's probably about 10-15mm space between the pipe and the face of the wall, so that doesn't leave much space for lagging. I'm not mad about deeper chasing - any other options?

Is this listed in building regs / Gas Safe?

It doesn't matter what the regs do or don't say. It WILL freeze. One option is to fit trace heating. If you can.

Cheers all. Given it's 22mm pipe, and the plumbers were so sure it wouldn't freeze, I hadn't questioned it (and no one else has since either!). The reason I ask about regs is whether I should report them...

Anyway, it sounds like I might just have to lag the pipe (if I can squeeze it into the chasing) and box in. How thick does the lagging need to be? Anything special i need to do (put a slope on the boxing, so snow doesn't settle maybe?)

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back