1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Mains power cable on surface

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by DaveOC, 18 Jun 2021.

1. SUNRAY

SUNRAY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And just to put the cat amongst the parrots, I have known a situation where the SP would not connect a new service to a rewire as part of a big extension until the steel trunking which the new tails had been run in was removed.

Why the need for a box to terminate SWA?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    :)
    ... because I can't personally think of an acceptable way to 'terminate' SWA directly into a supplier's electricity meter - can you?

Kind Regards, John

4. SUNRAY

SUNRAY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The topic of terminating SWA and the different methods available has been discussed on this and other forums ad nauseam, I'd have no problem employing one of those 'alternative to a superfluous box' methods.

5. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is, indeed, a well-discussed topic.

However, in this particular case I would be intrigued to learn what "alternative method" would be appropriate (and reasonably tidy/'good practice') for terminating SWA into a utility company's meter. Can you educate me, at least with some hints?

Kind Regards, John

6. DaveOC

DaveOC

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So, would putting the tails inside steel conduit and then into the wall be OK?

7. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, but both would have to go into the same steel conduit.

As has been recently discussed, an alternative would be to replace the tails with steel-wire armoured cable ('SWA'), which could be buried directly in the wall without conduit - although, as I have been saying, thought would then have to be given to how the SWA would be connected to the meter. I personally would probably run the SWA to some small box/accessory in the meter cabinet and then take a few inches of conventional 'tails' from there to the meter, but SUNRAY seems to believe that there is a 'simpler' (as yet to be revealed :) ) way in which it could be done.

Kind Regards, John

8. SUNRAY

SUNRAY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    One could add sleeves to the conductors to provide the 'additional sheath' or use a proprietry boot or something like this[​IMG]would be acceptable too.

9. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, one would have to do something like that, but it would be rather 'messy' and I'm far from convinced that everyone would regard that as 'good, let alone 'best' practice.

Of much more practical importance is the question of whether a 'meter operative' would be prepared (or even 'allowed') to connect such 'tails' to a meter - at least, without a lot of argument/fuss - and I am, again, far from convinced that they would. For that reason alone, I personally would probably not do it.

Whilst, as we have agreed in the past, there is probably too much obsession with always using 'proper SWA glands', with alternative methods of installation perfectly reasonable/acceptable, in this particular case, with the connection being to "someone else's equipment", I would personally be very hesitant to consider an approach which could be unexpected/unfamiliar/unconventional in the eyes of many/most of those who might find themselves maintaining the connections.

Kind Regards, John

10. Sponsored Links
  11. studentspark

studentspark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I must be missing something here :?:
    The DNO can do what they want, but we can't.
    We can't take SWA straight into the meter, and no Meter guy would install it.
    What is the issue with terminating the SWA properly and running tails from what ever enclosure is used isolator, switch fuse, old baked bean tin....

12. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I don't think you are missing anything.
    Quite -0 well, very probably not ... as I wrote ...
    Again, quite so. To quote myself again ...
    Kind Regards, John

13. studentspark

studentspark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think we are on the same page John :)

14. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think we are, but I got my page into writing first :)

Kind Regards, John

15. SUNRAY

SUNRAY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Correct, WE can't terminate SWA in a meter, just as correctly WE can't terminate any wire into a meter, however I fail to see why no meter guy would. There are adequate proprietry methods of makeing single insulated wires sheathed for the purpose.

Personally I'd say adding an unnecessary joint in an equally unnecessary box is not best practice.

Terminating into an isolator etc is a whole different situation. If i saw a SWA terminated in a bean tin I'd go to the ends of the earth to identify and name and shame the pratt.

16. studentspark

studentspark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OK.

In my experience, you have as much chance of metering terminating cores from SWA into a meter, as they would terminate into a bean tin, even if it is Heinz. :)

Thinking about it though, a Corned beef tin would sit flatter on the board.

:whistle:;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe you "fail to see why" no meter guy would do that, but the question is not about the "why" - it's about "whether or not they would" (regardless of the 'why').

If you believe that many, maybe even most, meter guys would do it, that would suggest that you have a lot less experience of meter guys than even I have, which I find fairly hard to believe. However, I have seen such people refuse to change meters for far sillier (and less justified) reasons than those we are discussing - so I definitely would not put any money on them being happy to connect your (SWA) 'tails'.

Kind Regards, John