Mains pressure solutions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my house is fed with a plastic mains water pipe that runs underground for a distance of around 80 metres. The external diameter of this plastic pipe is approx 22mm and the internal diameter is around 15mm. There is a water meter down at the property boundary with the main street.

Static pressure was measured to be around 2 bars, depending on time of day and year. Sometimes it's more and sometimes less.

We have a 170 litre megaflo installed, for around 20 years now. The megaflo came with some sort of pressure reduction valve which I removed almost 20 years ago, and I think it made things slightly better in the shower (very hard to tell really), but sometime back a plumber who was doing work on the boiler insisted that I should fit a reduction valve and he fitted one again.

The problem is that we do not have adequate pressure in the house, for showers or even washing hands in the sink. For example if I flush the toilet, the water coming out of the nearby sink tap almost stops and I get around 1-2 lt/min.

For example when someone is in the shower you must not even try to wash your hands, turn on the washing machine, flush any toilets, nothing. We must all wait until the showers are empty.

I have another property which is fed by 15mm cold water mains that runs around 300 meters from the road where it joins the mains. The pressure in that house is tremendous, scary even. You can use multiple appliances, bathrooms and what have you all at the same time and the pressure does not seem to decrease at all. The showers in that house are an experience. Based on that I do not think that my issue on this house is the incoming water mains (22mm plastic with 15mm internal), but the mains pressure down the road.

To improve matters I was thinking of installing a water pump, there are plenty to choose from, there are mains ones and "shower" ones, so I would like to think aloud of the possible combinations and effects.

1) I could install a standard, single shower pump on the cold water pipes as it enters the house. The pump will start when it detects some flow. That might help the cold water coming into the house.

2) I could install a "mains" water pump like above. I am not sure what the differences are, in any case they are all expensive. I know these mains water pumps reach around 12 lt/min - I do not know how this translates in practice to my showers and general water use in the house. Will I be able to flush the toilet without annoying whoever is in the shower?

3) I could install the mains pump along with the large pressurised tanks - again I am not sure how this will work in practice - and of course it is much more expensive.

Sponsored Links
Pumped accumulators would be the solution we'd advise, based entirely on your measurements above.

Obviously, we'd want to verify the metrics first, but this would be the quietest and most reliable solution. Got two similar systems going in this month.

Ahh thank you - this is the "pressurised tanks" I was referring to.

I am now looking at those, there seem to be a few of them, I am making calls to get prices, so I have a bulk park idea what expense to expect. I aim thinking of installing it in the garage or the sauna (both outside the house) for space and noise.

I will also call my water company to ask if there is a check valve fitted on my water meter, so I do not have to worry about back flows.

I have just discovered an older thread where I read "if I was an end user I would just buy a Grundfos UPA 15/90 and to hell with the rules :LOL:"

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/booster-pump-with-accumulator.301343/#ixzz3wYmWTQfA"

I went to look for the Grundfos UPA 15-90 and I saw many more, for example the Grundfos CM range http://www.anchorpumps.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=grundfos+cmb&order=relevance&dir=desc

If we say "to hell with the rules" as the poster said in that other thread, one could install any of those pumps and would have good pressure in the house and without the need of an extra tank. There are some crazy deals out there, a 500W pump from £620 yours for £250 !!!

Sponsored Links
1) I could install a standard, single shower pump on the cold water pipes as it enters the house. The pump will start when it detects some flow. That might help the cold water coming into the house.

That's definitely not a good idea;)

Thank you. I now have a 500W pump and a couple of 20" filters on ebay, I will put the pump straight in at the mains, with an easy to use bypass, followed by the two 20" filters, then the water softener, and then the rest of the house. Currently the water softener alone steals a lot of pressure, but with the pump I hope we will get it back.

Before you do that, turn off stopcock ( the one that come in the house ) and check the meter isn't running.

Also you need to dig up nearest the water meter and cut pipe and check flow and pressure.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back