Mains Surge Protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a mains surge protector with 6 AC outlets (sockets) but it has only one on/off switch. Quite often I need to turn off one appliance (e.g. Sky Plus to reboot), but do not wish to turn of the other appliances in the other 5 sockets. Bottom line, does anyone know where I can buy such a unit, Belkin did not reply to my question on their products.

Sponsored Links
Almost all appliances have on/off switches.

The other appliances are not easily accessable, whereas the extension lead is.

just unplug it then.

What do you do with unswitched wall sockets? Turn off the circuit every time you unplug something? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Fair enough, just that it is safer to turn off at the switch then handle pulling plugs out. I know of someone that when trying to wrestle a plug out managed to get her fingers under the plug and, wham, touched the live and neutral. Her husband wne and changed all 13 amp plus to those that have insulation halfway down the pins!

derekbell said:
Fair enough, just that it is safer to turn off at the switch then handle pulling plugs out. I know of someone that when trying to wrestle a plug out managed to get her fingers under the plug and, wham, touched the live and neutral. Her husband wne and changed all 13 amp plus to those that have insulation halfway down the pins!

ALL plugs made in the last 10 or so years have insulated pins. so i wouldnt worry about this.

JohnD said:

Almost all set top boxes don't! The on/off is a logic switch only, to do a cold reboot you have to switch off at the socket or pull the plug, or the power cord out the back (which is the usual way if you can get to it)

crafty1289 said:
ALL plugs made in the last 10 or so years have insulated pins. so i wouldnt worry about this.
sure, doesn't mean that ones without them aren't still in circulation though.

JohnD said:
no they don't, VCRs and set top boxes in particular often only have soft on off switches that are no use when the firmware in the things crashes.

btw i know i saw switched plugs somewhere (i think it was B&Q) recently, theese might be a nice soloution for the problem appliances.

Come on, you know what "almost" means :LOL:

BTW my VCRs have a real switch hidden on the back

plugwash said:
btw i know i saw switched plugs somewhere (i think it was B&Q) recently, theese might be a nice soloution for the problem appliances.

Yep B&Q do them - standard plugs with a switch/neon built into the top - seem quite an elegant solution. They also do triple adapter plug ins with 3 separate switches on the top...

Gavin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back