Mains Tails Hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it normal for the cable that comes from the mains (SWEB) block to the meter to be hot.
I've not touched anything in there in ages but i noticed this eve that theire was a "hot" smell. I touched all the cables from the dist board.. all ok. then worked my way back to the meter.. fine. but as i said the cable from the black box where the incomer coes in to the meter is very warm.. the meter isnt spinning excessively.. but the incomer is slightly warm.

one thing i will mention is that we had a burst radiator pipe under the void in the floors and i saturated the ground.. which has a fibre covered cable (i believe the incomer) on the top of it.. will thsi effect it?.. and before you ask i dont know what type of supply i have..

any help?.. befiore i prepare to call the fire brigade!!

Sponsored Links
Dont call the fire brigade. Call your DNO's emergency number (power cut line etc) and tell them you can smell burning at your meter. Have your meter serial number ready. If you're excessively worried turn off your main switch.

Its worth noting if you have heavy loads in your property, the cable will get warm to the touch. At our shop there is an armoured cable from the meter to the DB, which is always warm to touch.

As was said before, sounds like you have a loose connection inside your supply head, call the electricity supplier Pronto and tell them you have a burning smell. Let us know how you get on

Nick

Sponsored Links
OK it happened again... after last time i spent 10 minutes trying to find a number to call... we are on EDF and the number just rang and rang (yes that was theer emergency number), so just turned off all high load kit and it was fine.

Anyway last night it happened again so i rang western power after advise i was given at work. They were out within 2 hours.
They immediately identified that one of the tails was knackered and replaced it, they also replaced the old 60A fuse with a 100A one..(even though the meter is only rated at 80A)

so so muchg for being able to draw 100A through the isolator on the DB!!

The common link was that the tumble dryer was on and also the shower so i guess they would draw 50A at least on their own.. add into that the lights and maybe even the telly and xbox..that would probably be over the 60A.. hence the burning

Problem solved.. yay.. (thansk for the advice.. and i promised i'd keep you updated)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back