Mains to 12v

Sponsored Links
Oh thanks for that. I thought it was a dc output.
Oh well back to the drawing board

upload_2018-7-1_18-47-14.png

Sponsored Links
Cool boxes are inefficient mine able to hold 4 cans of beer uses as much as my full size domestic fridge/freezer, great to get cool at home then keep cool in the car, but once finished it is move back to good fridge.

We have three basic fridge designs the Peltier is always DC and can be moved without a problem, the absorption fridge does not care A.C. or DC and typical uses 8 amps, it has however to be kept reasonable upright. The same with motor driven fridges, as 12 volt latter only really used on boats.

Using LED power supplies, and caravan and boat power supplies you can get 12 volt DC however the latter are often designed to have batteries attached to smooth the DC.

In the main it comes down to cost, a 12 volt compressor or inverter driven motor is likely a lot better quality, and use less power, the Peltier is cheap to buy, but expensive to run, and soon gains heat when turned off.

In the old days you could buy Peltier with transformer and rectifier built in, however EU rules will not allow an electric only fridge using mains supply under a set efficancy level, if it can also use gas then allowed, so to run a Peltier fridge from mains the dropper has to be separate not built in, if sold in EU.

Just an old trailer tent and a cool box i use in my truck. Better think again. Unless a cheap alternative can be recommended

Yeah mate. This is a bit better as you can set the temp and it will stay rather than so many deg below ambient

you can get switchable 12v DC / 230v AC coolboxes for under £35
When I read up on it, found EU law does not permit it, I would have expected duel voltage to be exempt like duel fuel, but seems that is not the case, so the old Woolworths cool box I have is duel voltage, but new units called the ICEQ 4 litre fridge no longer has the 230 volt mode for UK, however using internet you can still get grey imports which will work on 230 volt.

Interesting A+++ so permitted under EU rules, It gives the 47W (12v) And 55W (230v) rating and at 230 volt it has temperature adjustment so will be turning off/On, however under EU rules they must give the annual power usage, that has not been given. Rather naughty.

Just an old trailer tent and a cool box i use in my truck.
I'm a bit confused. If it is 'used in your truck', then (a) where do you get the mains supply to run the power supply and (b) why can't you run it off the truck battery?

Kind Regards, John

Sorry for any confusion. I usually use it in my truck as it runs off 12/24v but am planning to use it in my recently acquired trailer tent. Where i have mains but not 12/24v. Hope this is clearer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back