mains water pressure

zk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, can anyone let me know if the water authority are required to provide a minimum pressure, to the main supply coming into a premises? The premises concerned is a flat on the 3rd floor in a block of flats, at present it has 1/2 bar pressure and a flow rate of 6ltr per minute. The flat below it also has low mains pressure.

Sponsored Links
Just ask your water supplier what the minimum pressure is supposed to be.

Sponsored Links
They only have to supply a minimum where the pipe comes into the building, ie not your flat. I've recently heard it has changed from 1 bar to 0.7 bar, which = 7 metres head instead of 10. WOuld be worth checking that with Ofwat but either ay, it wouldn't be enough for you.
Flow requirement for the building is 7 litres/minute!

In London top floor flats the water often stops at peak demand times, so they have to store it eg at night.
COnvesion flats are the worst, where all the flats share one old half inch pipe.

Thanks for all the advice, the water board are coming out this week to check the supply pressures. However, they cannot tell me what day this week, and they have also said that they didn't need access to the premises, as they would be able to check with the other flats in the block (if they can get access to them). Considering the other flats are lower, and the flat we are concerned with is on the top floor, I'm looking forward to what results and explanations they come up with.

I doubt if you have much to look forward to, in this regard. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back