Mains water supply problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully this is the right section for advice.

I have a shared mains water supply starting two doors along and have low / no water pressure at my property since an extension was completed at my neighbour’s property.

The builder said they found a damaged pipe which got worse as they excavated - I don’t know if they hit the pipe and damaged it from fresh but I think it’s irrelevant anyway.

The pipe was repaired although, the builder stated it is badly corroded and a very small bore left.

The affect on my house is that at times the pressure is “ok” (Affinity Water state it’s acceptable) and others I have literally no water flowing from any outlet (so much so that it has stopped mid-shower and been left with soap on my body waiting for the water to come back).

My neighbours don’t have the same issues, so perhaps it’s the supply only on my land - I’m not sure if that changes anything with the shared supply rules.

I have contacted Affinity Water who have said it’s a shared supply and they’re not responsible for fixing it after it goes from the pavement to private land.

Does anyone have any experience of how I can challenge this?

My options seem limited:
1 get a dedicated supply which seems prohibitively expensive: application fee, supply fee, road closure, extensive road and pavement excavations and internal work
2 demand the shared supply is fixed which I don’t know how will work - will my neighbours have to break their floors to fix supply to my house?

Is there anything I can demand to get my own supply without incurring the costs of getting a supply to my threshold? I’m happy paying from my front path onwards.

Is there any legislation that states the shared supply is inadequate and not fit for purpose?

I know some things are my responsibility no matter if they seem but this just seems ridiculous! My supply was fine until someone seems to have damaged / unearthed a problem and I’m stuck with no water / a huge repair bill. I’ve alrardy spent about £500 getting minor repairs auctioned hoping it would fix things.

Any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Well, if your water was supplied via your next door and they have damaged it, then it would be their responsibility to sort it out. Have they said it's not their problem? Perhaps your home insurance has legal cover, you can ask them to advise on that, maybe they will claim on your behalf (which would go back to next door's builder)

Citizens advice can sometimes be helpful, also environmental health. But both will be under funded and not really able to dedicate too much resources to you.

Also check legal cover at work, some companies provide it too.

It's possible that the damage has released some crud that's causing the issues, and if they're right about the condition of the pipe, then it might be sensible to replace the section that then goes to your property.

Thanks for the reply.

I did check with the insurer and they said there’s no damage, so no claim to be made - I argued the pipe isn’t working as it should but they said it wasn’t covered.

The neighbour damaging the pipe may be something to investigate but it would need to be proven - I don’t think the builder is to blame but I may check again.

Would a Salamander type pump be suitable and work in my instance?

Sponsored Links
The builder replaced the damaged section and phoned the water supplier when the incident happened - I get the feeling he has acted properly and has offered to help when Affinity come to survey.

There was some grit etc in the pipe work but I’ve attempted to clear it with help of a plumber (replaced stop cock, valves and ran the mains feed out my house via a hose).

I don't think a pump would help; you don't have a decent supply to work with, and it would just pump nothing at times. Is it the next door neighbour that's had the extension, and have they got a new shower etc that might be taking the supply from you. Could you get them to turn their taps and equipment on and off whilst you're showers on, and check for issues.

I didn't mean make an insurance claim, although that could have been a remote option. I mean normally they give you legal cover so that you can get advice and they can claim against the other person for you. Even if it's not something covered under the actual policy.

Is there something in your and your neighbour's deeds that describes responsibility for maintaining this pipework?

Shares mains are as problematic as shared drives!

Where, in Herts, are you located?

It would be best to run a new one in - it will add value to your property and make it better to live in for you.

I’m in Watford.

I don’t mind running a dedicated supply if the costs are reasonable which is what my main query is about.

Affinity Water say they have done everything they need to do by running a supply to the neighbouring property which then runs to me.

My point to them is that I don’t have access to an adequate supply because I’m restricted by what my neighbours do.

The cost of inning a supply to me is going to be huge because they need to close the road and have a c20m excavation.

I’m hoping I can argue they need to provide my own supply as the current set-up isn’t reasonable.

I'm pretty sure they're legally obliged to supply you, fresh water is a basic legal right in this country. Was your house split off from next door at some point, and do you pay your bill directly or via next door?

Diagram shows the layout

Attachments

• 1C0C3410-B7CD-4F6A-9017-53F570E4A6B5.jpeg
    1C0C3410-B7CD-4F6A-9017-53F570E4A6B5.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 214
Is it continuously worse than before, or is it just worse intermittently? I wonder whether your neighbours have had a pump installed and that's starving your supply...?

I hate shares like that!!!

A few years ago we were in a similar share and United Utilities did us a new connection for free. I dug the trench through our garden and ran the pipe into the house, they picked it up at the boundary and put a new connection on the main. Then we dig at the opposite boundary and capped the old pipe off.

I had a shared main with my neighbours and similar issues, found I lived in a lead pipe area and got the water board to agree to delead me , I ha to put the pipe i to my property boundry and they attahed to the mains and took care of digging up the street etc, I live in a victorian villa/terrace withe shared passage between houses that has been concreted so wasn't keen on digging up and possibly disturbing/ breaking my neighbours supply too and needed supply to enter rear of the property so got a man with mole in to drag the pipe thru, very clean job and no real disruption all done in a couple of hours, worth considering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back