Mains wires in contact with rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone advise me on any regs relating to proximity of mains cables to metal radiators and metal skirting radiators. My local school have just had work done to increase the number of power points but they are located in such a way that the mains cables make contact with the rads/ metal skirting rads. Common sense would say that it isn't the best idea in the world but are there any specific guidelines/ regulations that apply?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You could start at 522.2 External heat sources.
Do you know if the cables are heat resistant?

522.2 External heat sources.

In order to avoid the effects of heat from external sources, one or more of the following methods or an equally effective method shall be used to protect a wiring system:
(i) Sheilding
(ii) Placing sufficiently far from source of heat
(iii) Selecting a system with due regard for the additional temperature rise which may occur.
(iv) Local reinforcement or substitution of insulating materials.
Note: Heat from external sources may be radiation, conduction or convection e.g.
-from hot water systems
-from plant, appliances and luminaries
-from manufacturing process
-through heat conducting materials
-from solar gain of the wiring system or it's surrounding medium

Back in the day civil service buildings had heating around all perimeter walls in cased in vented sheet metal. The lower 9" was always a trunking cavity and all electrical and commas services were laid in that cavity with a shelf barrier between the two cable services.

Heat rises rather than falls, so I doubt that was an issue.

In your example in old have thought the designed would have signed off the acceptance to do as they have. Have to questioned th contractor on who gave authority to do as they have, and have they used a cable system that allows for the potential higher operating temp?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back