Mains wiring in bathroom behind waste pipe - safe?

Sponsored Links
For my family's safety I'm planning on having every piece of electrics he touched ripped out and replaced to 17th edition standards.
good call

Just got to convince the wife that the electrics take priority over new carpets etc :LOL:

best of luck :D

I tried that and failed, now I might have to have carpets taken up for electrical work to take place... you could try telling her the carpets CANT go down until the electrics are sorted.

Sponsored Links
I bet it's not safe.

Probably right, as that old fusebox has a 40A MCB in it, which presumably is for the shower circuit.
The maximum allowed per way in that type of old fusebox is 32A, so overheating and damage is very likely.

Good spot.

The electrician also noted that the wiring to the shower is 4mm so needs to be upgraded.

Plan is:

New RCBO CU

Rewire shower 6mm+ going from CU up through ceiling into landing floorspace then through bathroom wall into back of shower. That way shower wiring stays out of the bathroom and can be serviced if needed without lifting the bathroom floor.

Is 6mm sufficient for 10.5kw?

Rip out wiring to conservatory lighting that goes up waste pipe and under bath then through external wall. Conservatory lighting will now be on a new way from the new CU through kitchen wall.

Tidy the remaining wiring that goes into loft using a conduit. This way the only wiring into the bathroom is straight up the waste pipe into the loft, tidied into a nice safe conduit and then have waste pipe boxed in.

Get rid of multiway plugs at bottom of waste pipe, reduce wiring to minimum needed any junction boxes will be waterproof type, new sockets above worktops + chased in.

Electrician confirmed that subject to circuit testing after new CU, a part P cert will be issued and work has 10 year guarantee.

He's getting back to me with the quote :LOL:

After this I'm having the wet floorboards ripped out and replaced (oh yes, the bathroom was full of surprises!) and plywood sheet countersunk-screwed down by a carpenter and then decent lino put down and properly sealed around walls.

Sound sensible?

thanks,

Isley

Personally, i'd use 10mm for the shower feed. Not a lot of cost difference between 6 and 10 for a short run and 'future proofs' you if something changes in the future.

I used marine grade plywood in my bathroom, floorboards screwed, not nailed, plywood screwed down on top. (Then flexible tile matting before tiles went down)

showers and cookers shouldn't be wired in anything short of 10mm² these days.. even if you don't need the capacity now, some idiot ( or SWMBO ) will decide that they want a bigger shower or a bigger cooker or a nice new induction hob..

the price difference between 10mm² and 6mm² is not that much when compared to the future proofing..

and for the record.... 6mm² is barely big enough for 10.5KW.. without any de-rating factors..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back