Maintaining 1/2hr Fire Rating in Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to run cables through a garage ceiling (where there is a bedroom above) into a consumer unit, without affecting the 1/2hr fire rating?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
What is giving the fire protection? You have to make good anyhow.

On my 2391 this week it was brought up several times about the need for fire hoods over (or fire rated) downlighters.All the lecturers were in agreement that these should be fitted whether or not the building officer decides they do not.As plasterboard in a normal domestic dwelling provides half hour rating the integrity should be kept, as per BS 7671, regardless of what is above (another property, bedroom for the same dwelling etc)

SS,

At the moment the CU is in an alternative location. It needs replacing and I'd like it to be moved to the garage. However this would mean moving the cables and bringing them through the garage ceiling - which gains it's fire rating through a double layer of plasterboard.

I appreciate that when the sparks comes to move / change the CU he'll know what he's doing, but I didn't want to have to undo the work I've done so far.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
I was thinking about replying to this saying "I wonder if they make intumescent sealant". Now I dont have to! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back