Maintenance Free JBs

DCC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a quick look around and couldnt find a proper definition of what made a junction box 'maintenance free' and what I did find seemed to be almost implying that the manufacturers defined it as maintenance free rather than a specific standard.

I dont have access to all the relevant standards but I'm curious about what actually constitutes a maintenance free junction box?

Sponsored Links
As far as I see, it is only Maintenance Free, as there are no screws to come loose, this does not mean it does not have to be accessible though.

Push fit connecters are not listed in the reg that states what is allowed to be inaccesible.

As far as I see, it is only Maintenance Free, as there are no screws to come loose, this does not mean it does not have to be accessible though.

Push fit connecters are not listed in the reg that states what is allowed to be inaccesible.
That was my thought as well. I’m not a spark but I don’t see how push fit connectors are any more maintenance free than screw terminals; in fact it strikes me they would be the opposite & less secure than a properly tightened screw terminal! :confused:

Sponsored Links
I've just ordered some WAGO's to give them a try.

Quite pricey and they claim they save 75% of the time needed for screw terminal connectors.

They have sent a free demonstration kit as well, which contains 1.5T&E 3 connectors and their junction box.

I have been sat working the connections in and out and after about 50 goes they still seem rock solid.

Will be using them on a present job on Monday and will let you know how they go.

But as Rocky points out access is still required

But if they dont comply with BR's such that you can stuff them below floorboards, what's the point!

But the Hager ones claim they are maintenance free and say they are designed for stuffing anywhere. Its the claim bit I dont get "Screw less terminals meaning no maintenance required" is the blurb so is that all that's required?

Why don't you challenge Hager on this point and say that push fit terminations are not listed in the regs as being a valid "access free" termination method - and see what their response is.

I too have ordered a couple with my weekly TLC order.

I was interested in the push-style connector blocks, until I was called to a bodged up Y-Plan relocation involving jointing 2 runs of 3-core-and-earth, silly bugger had used these and got mixed up between his colours.

I had a go at removing them, but in the end decided to cut, through-crimp and heatshrink it, in the time-honoured fashon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back