Maintenance free junction boxes in domestic rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed these were used for lights. Is it normal? I didn't expect any junction boxes after a rewire. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Well, you would prefer to see no JBs, it's perfectly possible to wire an entire house without them. Are there lots of junction boxes?

At least they were MF, this makes them compliant.

Four for lights I think. I assume it just easier to use JBs, there's no obvious reason why.

It's common to use junction boxes on a lighting rewire if narrow switch drop conduits get re-used, and the light fittings don't have space to accomodate more than one or two cables.

Sponsored Links
It's common to use junction boxes on a lighting rewire if narrow switch drop conduits get re-used, and the light fittings don't have space to accomodate more than one or two cables.

So to minimise chase depth you might use narrow conduit and need smaller dia / less cables meaning you need JBs?

surely it depends what there used for, are they used just to terminate at the lights, some fittings are tricky to get multiple wires in and makes sense to use them

surely it depends what there used for, are they used just to terminate at the lights, some fittings are tricky to get multiple wires in and makes sense to use them

What do you mean by terminate?
Cheers.

This is a junction box:

TLCT100C.JPG

There might be very good reasons for using them (but not wired as per the photo :LOL:)

Not MF though.

I've got some which have no terminals at all - the only connection to the lights is via an integral plug & socket arrangement - the plugs are more than just tricky to get multiple wires in - they are not designed for it and it is impossible to do.

This is a junction box:

TLCT100C.JPG

There might be very good reasons for using them (but not wired as per the photo :LOL:)
Those things are pretty useful. Scolmore downlights come with them ready to go (obviously, it's the same company) But their downlights have a 7 year warranty, means if they fail within that time, the end user is able to swap out the fitting without having to get anyone in (and maintain their warranty)

The ones I have have an obscure 4-pole connector (EM lights, so there's a L & SL). I say obscure as I seem to have one fewer plugs than I have gear trays, and I'm b*Y"(%&#@d if I can find one anywhere. I can find similar ones, but not with the right combination of obfuscated-is-it-male-or-is-it-female shrouded pins and prongs and receptacles.

The ones I have have an obscure 4-pole connector (EM lights, so there's a L & SL). I say obscure as I seem to have one fewer plugs than I have gear trays, and I'm b*Y"(%&#@d if I can find one anywhere. I can find similar ones, but not with the right combination of obfuscated-is-it-male-or-is-it-female shrouded pins and prongs and receptacles.
Sounds like you want one of the following:
CT203C 250V 20A 4 Pin ‘Flow’ Connector with Fast-Fit Cable Clamps
CT203M 250V 20A 4 Pin ‘Flow’ Connector with Fast-Fit Cable Clamps (Male Connector only)
CT202C 250V 20A 4 Pin 'Flow' Connector

But without know exactly which bit you need, hard to be more specific. I suspect CT203M but maybe not.

It doesn't look a bit like any of those. If I ever get around to needing the last light, i.e. run out of plugs, I could replace the connector built into the gear tray with another 4-way one, but for less work I could just hard-wire it in, as I don't need a quick'n'easy swap out facility.

Yea they've changed the design recently. I would presume the pin configuration is the same on old and new designs but I couldn't be sure. And yea, you may as well just hardwire if you don't need the ease of swapping the fitting out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back