Maintenance responsibility second storey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I live in a mid terrace property. At some point the owners of the house next to us build a second story rear extension acoss the entire of their property (this was before we moved into our property). The extension is on what would have been the kitchen at the time and as a result their second story wall is above our sloped kitchen roof.

Our neghibour recently painted the rear of their poperty, but made no comment about painting the side which is above our kitchen. The wall is not in great condition with bits of render are starting to come away.

Are they responsible for maintaining that wall please? Logically i believe they are, as it wouldn't be there unless the person before them had built the extension (these properties over a 100 yrs old).

I've tried looking online but cannot find anything which confirms it. I'd like confirmation before i speak to them please.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's their wall and their responsibility to maintain it. If they choose to, of course, nothing to say they have to unless it becomes hazardous or a nuisance.

It's their wall and their responsibility to maintain it. If they choose to, of course, nothing to say they have to unless it becomes hazardous or a nuisance.
Ok... thanks. I guess my concern is, what if damp gets behind the loose bits of render and then travels down. Potentially below our lead flashing and causes issues in our kitchen as a result... Is that a thing? or do i have to wait until damp actually appears?

Sponsored Links
If the extension caused damp ingress due to lack of maintenance, that would certainly be an issue and they might well be liable for any damage caused to you. No harm in mentioning that to the neighbour in a 'I'm a bit concerned' tone. Hopefully they would do something about it. But if they don't then you will need some evidence that a problem is occurring to take it any further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back