Major backyard problem

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
So we bought a fixer upper recently. The backyard is *ugh* - it is hard to describe, you can see it in the lower half of the image below.

I am not sure there was ever real gravel or stone put down here. There definitely isn't any plastic membrane to stop weeds as you can see. It may be that it is just a mixture of the hardcore and sand from the house construction with the subsoil.

In any case, my significant other has ruled that we cannot move into the house until is sorted. To add to the headache - under here there are the mains electricity cable, soakaway drain, sewer pipe, oil pipe (I have a rough idea only of where they are).

My guess of what I need/want here, is to peel back the first 1/2 foot and put down a proper membrane and stone. The question is who do I get to do this; a builder, a patio company, a gardener, a local farmer? I clearly want to minimize spend here but I also want to protect life and underground infrastructure. I'm not broke, but not flush either. Who should I be looking up in the yellow pages?

(BTW before anyone says it - the shed in the background is also on my list of things to sort out - but later).

Sponsored Links
A landscaper. Not a great time of year though as most will be up to their eyes.

A local farmer with digger may work out cheaper but i'd not imagine elf and safety would be his foremost priority.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back