Gravel drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not sure I'm in the right place with this question but I couldn't find a groundwork category.

Anyway, I want to lay a gravel area across the front of a house for parking, is there a widely accepted way of doing this?

I was thinking of laying 100mm of hardcore then compacting and blinding it before laying the black membrane. Then I'll have enough stone tipped to give 50mm cover everywhere.

Talking to my neighbour who already has a gravel drive I get the impression he didn't use hardcore, just laid the membrane on soil and tipped the stones.

I'm tempted to skip the hardcoring if possible (too much hard work!), any recommendations?

Jever

Sponsored Links
I'm having my drive done next month using gravel. We're having 1m at the front paved along with the perimeter as a decorative feature. Were using gravel grids with built in membrane from Euro Gravel Grids.

In the quote builder spec,

6" hardcore
1" sharp sand
2" gravel

Sponsored Links
It will depend what's there already. You don't want to be laying gravel (that will be driven on) on top of top soil.

But if you're down to the sub soil and it's good hard stoney ground you can skip the hardcore

Last edited:
The grids have an attached permeable membrane underneath to stop the gravel from mixing.

Last edited:
IMG_20190915_183822.jpg
IMG_20190915_183811.jpg

Last edited:
CJRatch,
Sorry , if ignore my comment, for some reason I missed that you were using membrane and grids.
Sfk

If the area you wish gravel adjoins the 'Public' highway have a discreet word with local council to check for access to buried utilities ducts etc.
We replaced the front lawn to our property ourselves some years back, then had some ED from the council highways department telling us we had to put lawn back. After several months of argument, including discovering that different council departments had different site plans and showing them how long the gravel had been down, via 'Streetview', we were told it could remain but we couldn't park on it yet it is accessed via the drive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back