major static problem help;!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well where to begin me and my partner have been having major static problem's in our house we have now found out that for the last 2 years our main electric into the house hadnt been earthed properly and that we had been the earth to to any electrical items we touched not only that before i became ill we have an electrical shop you can imagine all the testing that had gone on in our home anyway...the problem we have now is we stillkeep have major static problemwe tried to narrow it diwn we now fount out some sockets and some lighting sockets arent or havent been correctly earthed we have fixed them well done them by looking how to on your eebsite but still major probs. Weve had a real good thinkand have come to a conclusion it started alot around the time we had a new boiler fitted we checked what should be done and they hadnt earthed he copper pipes sp we have earthed them all together but we noticed there's an old gas pipe outside the house and an old one underthekitchen ccupboard and thre not earthed do they need to be even ho there now in use (we have been told neway) sorry it all sounds a bit muddled its hard to tell you everything as so much has been happening very distressing so what we want to knowreally is what are main causes for the house to be static
any help is very appreciated,
many thanx
kirste :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Firstly it is not clear whether your Headline 'Static' is really the problem. Static electricity is typically a problem if you have nylon carpets, walk about and then touch something earthed and get a tiny (but, in itself, harmless) jolt.

If this is the problem there isn't much you can do except change the carpets, increase the humidity in the house, or put up with it.

The usual indication as to whether it is static, would be to stand still after feel the shock, and after a few seconds touch the object again. If the shock does repeat then it may be a real shock which needs to be sorted.

The main thing you have to have for safety, is for the incoming services (mostly gas and water) to be bonded to the main earthing point where the electricity comes in.

If you recently had some work done to the supply this should be mentioned on the certificate. The certificate should also tell you the type of supply you have TN-S, TN-C-S or TT. Can you find this certificate and tell us?

When the new boiler was fitted you would have received a "Minor Works Certificate" An example here the link shows all the certificates but the minor works certificate requires things like system earth arrangement and earth fault loop impedance what does it say for these on the certificate issued when boiler was fitted?

If you have not got a Minor Works Certificate then alarm bells ring. Cowboys often do not have the test meters required and fail to test which if everything is OK to start with will not likely be a problem but if there was a fault fitting bonding wires could radiate that fault to other parts of the house. This is why we have to test not only to check our own work but to also see if there are faults from other work.

Can you try paragraphs and spaces between words I find you post hard to read.

Sponsored Links
Well! Where to begin?

My partner and I have been having major static problems in our house.

We have now found out that for the last two years our main electric into the house hasn't been earthed properly and that we had been the earth to to any electrical items we touched. Not only that; before I became ill we had an electrical shop. You can imagine all the testing that had gone on in our home anyway.

The problem we have now is that we still keep having a major static problem. We tried to narrow it down; we have found out that some sockets and some lighting switches aren't or haven't been correctly earthed. We have fixed them - well, done them by looking how to on your website but still major problems.

We've had a real good think and have come to the conclusion that it started a lot around the time we had a new boiler fitted. We checked what should be done and they hadn't earthed the copper pipes so we have earthed them all together but we noticed there's an old gas pipe outside the house and an old one under the kitchen cupboard and they're not earthed.

Do they need to be even though they're now ??? in use? We have been told neway ???.)

Sorry it all sounds a bit muddled. It's hard to tell you everything as so much has been happening.
It's very distressing so what we want to know really is what are main causes for the house to be static?

Any help is very appreciated.
Many thanks,

Kirste :rolleyes:

1077560-Clipart-Smart-Asian-School-Girl-Raising-Her-Hand-At-Her-Desk-Royalty-Free-Vector-Illustration.jpg

OK so the OP is dyslexic or whatever. S/he is also ill.
First; is it a wind up?
If not, odd statements are worrying, "we had an electrical shop"
What are the static problems? Shock on touching anything electrical, or ?
Are both partners affected and in the same way?

More information needed from Kirste

That post was near impossible to read. People are more likely to be able to help if they are able to understand what you are writing.

Am I right in understanding that the "electrical shop" which you speak about was actually an "electrical shock"?

Sounds like you should call a spark and ask for a PIR.

I understood it.
And so did the person with the sensible reply.
I think it was written on a phone.

what are main causes for the house to be static

Weighing several hundred tons and being half buried in the ground would be the main one I expect..

Joking aside; you say you've had all this testing done, what was the result? Your post wavers between giving the impression that you've had a qualified sparky round, and you've read a couple of pdfs on the internet and poked at various things with a screwdriver

pressing the space bar twice on most phones will insert a full stop so it's not really too onerous a task to put rudimentary punctuation into an internet posting, though.. ?

OK so the OP is dyslexic or whatever
Does dyslexia lead people to see punctuation which isn't actually there?

In that case it should not not have been. If using a phone results in truly awful writing like that then a phone is clearly an inappropriate tool and should not be used.

pressing the space bar twice on most phones will insert a full stop so it's not really too onerous a task to put rudimentary punctuation into an internet posting, though.. ?
Indeed not.

Especially when in reality most phones look like this these days when doing text operations:

hackers_keyboard_android_2.gif

A number of you are demonstrating yourselves to be first class pr1cks, who love the opportunity to gloat about how superior you are over other people with problems but less technical skills than yourselves.

I hope you are proud of yourselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back