Make my own dogleg bricks (prob. just external angle)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to buy a turn of the century property to refurbish.

Alas, the bay window has been removed.

I've spoken to my local brick supplier (Michelmersh) and they have quoted a 26 week lead time on a supply of what I want. I have to say, I did laugh.

Can anyone see any reason why I can't/shouldn't use a wet tile cutter (Dewalt D24000 - I've got one) and some 'soft' bricks and just shape up my own from soft imperial bricks (to match the house). Is it possible to buy 'over-sized' bricks, so the overall reduction in size is not as bad ??

I've used this process before to resolve certain brick issues and it worked great.

I am aware these doglegs will be a few mm short of a traditional brick, but, as I'm getting the windows made for the opening, it should not be a great problem !!

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about leaving the cut face of a brick showing? :eek:

Or are you talking about making your own specials with glued back on faces?

Why not just mitre cut the bricks (with your tile cutter or an angle grinder with diamond disc) so the cut face isn't exposed? Yes you'll have a continuous perp bed at the corner and a bit of a bulge to lose -17mm at 30 degrees- but if you alternate the mitres you'll get enough stability in the corner (assuming it is only a ground floor bay).

NB Make sure the wall tops out at least 800mm above ground level unless you want to spend a fortune on tempered glass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back