Making a bench with sleepers, need advice on prep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says, I have just bordered my garden with new 2.4mtr railway sleepers. I have a few left over and have had an idea in which i am going to use one of them as a seating bench.
Problem is, it is pretty rough and i need to make it safe for kids and adults to sit on without getting splinters.
I am thinking and need advice on whether this is the right way forward.
Sand top and edges with 180 grit, then 240 grit then 320 grit then ????? when smooth, cover with something like yacht varnish ????
Is this the right way forward and would yacht varnish be sufficient or are there any other recommended products out there that i can use as a covering to keep waterproof and nice to sit on ????
Help and advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
we quite often do them for customers. sand them with a belt sander. I usually rout along the edges and do some lines up the seat fopr decoration. DONT use varnish use a finishing oil instead.

Cheers for that Thermo, Do you use a particular grade and is it the edges you round off ?
Don't suppose you have any pics as the more i think about it the more questions i have, For example how do i fix the legs on so it's safe ????
What type finishing oil do you use ?

Hi,

Just been searching the internet and found your post from a few years ago - I can see the design looks straight forward but could you share the instructions and how it is fixed to the ground?

Thanks

Ray

Sponsored Links
you'll not make much of a dent with anything smoother than 120grit.

I'd do the main with 80 and finish with 120

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back