Making a computer desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, this is my first post here :), I need a bit of advice, I would like to make a computer desk because the one I have is horrible and I think it would be a fun little job to do, I think I have the skills needed to make it and I have the tools. I started a bench joinery apprenticeship last year but Im not sure how to design it, Ive only really made windows and doors and the occasional staircase and im really not sure how to design it. Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thank You :)

Sponsored Links
A good place to start is to look at what else is on the market. Take a look around and make notes on what you can find or better yet build a small portfolio of advertising literature - note the advantages and disadvantages of each design. When you have done that make a list of what functions you want to incorporate (e.g. stow away keyboard tray, power distribution block on desk, stationery cabinet on right side, etc) and other constraints to your design (e.g. maximum width 1550mm, needs to be assembled in room because of poor access, limitations due to tool kit/experience, etc). Try to list these in order of merit from the absolute "must haves" to the "nice, but not necessary". Once you that ordered list you'll have mapped out a basic "requirement specification" and you can start sketching your design. Don't be afraid to go in a different direction to shop-bought desks - they are trying to sell the cheapest product at the highest price the market will support to the maximum number of people - all of which means their designs are far from ideal. They are often poor compromises.

As you are at college I'd consider running your design ideas past on of your tutors once you reach the stage of having some thought-through design ideas to get a "sanity check" on your design strategy

I think j and k's got this one sorted. I would say, get used to using biscuit joints,its all about working from face sides. your course tutors should point you in the right direction , think of most structures as ladders with sides and shelves. That's not the whole story but a good starting point. Occasional stair cases sounds very relaxed

when i make computer desks i place a socket up in the knee well with cable flaps [circles or squares for the plugs/scarts with small cable holes when the flaps are closed]
this keeps the cables off the floor and desk out the way

i usually build with drawers on one side and shelving on the other for cds books what ever on the other side
this will alter if you use a wall or alcove for support

Sponsored Links
cheers guys, started looking at ideas will post again later when ive come up with something, might need a bit of help choosing materials if you dont mind helping thanks :)

hey guys, come up with an idea that I like and tried to draw it out for you, just wondering what sort of materials I should use and joints for it? need it to be fairly sturdy :) View media item 48342
p.s hope the image works if not its in my albums if you can see it.

Tim

to much unsupported span a space less than 600 is to small more than 900 needs support

just realized what you meant :p what about if it was smaller say around the 700-800mm mark?

im not sure what to use : / i was hoping i could get a little help on that i would like to use solid wood but maybe thats impracticle any suggestions?

As an apprentice surrounded by craftsmen and college facilities and youv'e been doing that much joinery including the occasional staircase ,its only a small step on to complete your project or is this a wind-up?

its not a wind up, just unsure i like to to make sure i know what im doing before doing it just wanted to get some advice.

1 tend to use 12mm ply with 2x1" planed timber 12x12mm rebate mitered at the corners this give a quite strong stable 21mm thick top
anywhere there is added structure underneath i add a second layer off ply that seems to be exactly the right amount give or take half a mm

i usually go for 20mm overhang this places plenty timber underneath on whatever i have built to sit it on

i was going to say if you want an unsupported span use scaffold boards glued and fixed together they will happily span any gap up to 6ft

OK then, there's a bit of input I'll make.

1. In designing the piece have you taken into consideration standard sheet sizes and wastage?

2. How are you going to cut a square inner corner accurately and neatly and would you not be better to radius that inner corner on both aesthetics and functional grounds?

3. Everyone is talking about spans, but have you considetred adding a bracing element below the top set in from the edge and perhaps bevel edged (not sgarp and square) as a way of adding rigidity?

4. Have you considered how you will get the completed product through a standard 2ft 3in door opening? In a single piece that won't go at present. Are you looking at assembling the item with KD fastenings?

5. What materials were you thinking of using? (I was pre-supposing sheet MDF, MFC, or the like, but you haven't said)

6. Have you considered the aesthetics of curving edges and the effect of different edge profiles? Were you aware that a 2in thick hardwood bull nose edge lipping (with a rebate at the rear) applied to the front edge will radically improve its' stiffness? Have you looked at the Sagulator to calculate the amount of sag your design will duffer from? (Google Sagulator - brilliant on-line sag calculator)

7. Where are you going to run cables from the computer to the peripherals and are how accessible are they? Could some form of trunking be used to add structural stiffness to the design?

Just a few things for you to consider

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back