Making a door frame.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm knocking my toilet and bathroom in to one room to create more space. The bathroom door and toilet door are at 90 degs to each other with the toilet door opening outwards on to the landing. Really naff layout and equally the toilet door is at an angle to the wall, naff builder.

I will be removing the bathroom door, creating a 300mm turn back on the bathroom wall where the door was thus creating a small recess before you reach the door and installing a new door opening into the bathroom opening inwards.

The measured width for the new door is 815mm wall to wall but I'm struggling to find the correct timber size to make up what I want. 815 - 762 door = 53. Allowing 3 mm each side of the door that gives me a remain gap of 47mm which I need to make a door frame for the door.

The hinge side of the new door is a partition wall to a bedroom, the lock side will be a new partition wall 300mm from the corner of the stairs.

Most of the planed square edge timber I can find is 20.5mm thick leaving too much of a gap. The next size up is 34 or 44mm. The original door frame must have been custom built for these houses.

I've attached a picture the black lines being the old arrangement, the red being the new door position.

I would welcome any thoughts please.

(Enthusiastic DIY'er)

Attachments

• door-frame.png
    door-frame.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Most of the planed square edge timber I can find is 20.5mm thick leaving too much of a gap. The next size up is 34 or 44mm. The original door frame must have been custom built for these houses.
Gaps are there to be filled. otherwise, what Woody said, or use MDF.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back