Making a good compression joint.

Sponsored Links
There is never any need for additional jointing compound or PTFE tape on a compression joint, if you do need it your doing it wrong. Exception for possibly slightly deformed pipe ends but then PTFE on the washer only.

I have not had one compression joint leak on me in all my time of doing plumbing work and I have never used anything additional to seal the compression. The compression joint is such a simple design in itself. I always do use copper washers though as brass olives can be harder to get a proper 'squeeze'. Just make sure the pipe is snug in the fitting and in straight and tighten gently but enough, you will know by how much by the sound and feel back you get from the nut.

You've never installed a late 90's Telford unvented then.

There is never any need for additional jointing compound or PTFE tape on a compression joint, if you do need it your doing it wrong. Exception for possibly slightly deformed pipe ends but then PTFE on the washer only.

I have not had one compression joint leak on me in all my time of doing plumbing work and I have never used anything additional to seal the compression. The compression joint is such a simple design in itself. I always do use copper washers though as brass olives can be harder to get a proper 'squeeze'. Just make sure the pipe is snug in the fitting and in straight and tighten gently but enough, you will know by how much by the sound and feel back you get from the nut.

Anyone that don't use jointing compound or tape, that say they have never had a leak or drip with o compression fitting, is either bending the truth a lot or don't use compression fittings.. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

Anyone that don't use jointing compound or tape, that say they have never had a leak or drip with o compression fitting, is either bending the truth a lot or don't use compression fittings.. :rolleyes:

On new installations with new pipe. Never. Working on older pipework or repairing bodges, sometimes yes.

always put a smear of paste on the fitting side of the olive, dont understand this make the joint then take it apart business, wack some paste on, do the thing up, crack on.

I also had a leaking compression joint when fitting my loo recently. On my third attempt I applied some Fernox LSX (actually the Wickes' brand equivalent) and it did the trick. For the additional peace of mind, especially for an amateur DIYer such as myself, I think it's worth looking into. It's suitable for potable water and doesn't permanently set, so you can easily undo it in the future if you need to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back