Making a ledge in a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a ledge in a shower cube i'm making. The tray is 800mmx800mm. However, to give a bit more room in the shower, i've made the shower recess 800mm x 1000mm approx. The plan is then to tile the extra 800x200mm as a ledge at about 300mm off the shower tray level. This ledge can be used as a foot rest and as a dumping ground for general shower clutter.

Here's my question then. I was planning on making the ledge have a small slope to help water drainage but what I need help with is how to finish the edge. Should I overhang the edge tiles - by say 5mm, ..like a window sill? Or should I use a standard piece of plastic edging and hope the water does not pool there?

Steev

Sponsored Links
hi - do you mean just silicon the corner between the horizonatal tile and the vertical tile down to the shower tray? -- Do you mean use silicon instead of grout?
Steve

Sponsored Links
Ah sorry Steve, I misread your first post. I thought you were just having a tile sloping down to the tray. It was early when I replied. :oops:

Ok, I'm with you now. Yes you can use the quadrant trim as you mentioned but it'll probably get mouldy where the water sits around it. Best if you can overlap the top tile as you suggested.

I'd recommend tanking the area before you tile also - standalone showers should always be tanked, especially when they have ledges like you have described.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back