Tiling / Sealing Advice - Window recess in shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I would like some advice on tiling in my shower window recess please.

The recess gets water in as the shower is to the left of the picture. This creates a lot of mould and unpleasant looking marks on the grout / sealant. This is particularly noticeable where the back of the tiles meet the bottom of the window. There is a c.0.5cm gap currently filled with grout / sealant. In addition, where the water runs down, it has marked the border tiles where the tiles meet the bath.
Please could you advise a solution to:
(1) The recess - what is the best way of "sealing" this so that the mould does not regrow
(2) The recess - should I retile this so there is a slight slope to the front to allow all water to run off?
(3) The border tiles - is there something i can do to "protect" these from the water which appears to drip down from the ledge?
I hope the pictures help. Thank you very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
There's not a great deal you can do about the border tiles - small tiles mean more grout which is not the best idea around showers. About the best you could do is make the window bottom slope in towards the bath and seal the grout joints with grout sealer.

beginner - as you already have a uPVC window why not fit a uPVC window board. Bond this over the tiles (or take the tiles off) so that it has a slight fall (slope); these boards can be obtained with a 'drip' edge which, if you get a board wide enough, will cast the water off the lower wall. Obviously seal the edges of this window board with a quality sanitary silicon. One of the problems of tiling window ledges is that the grout lines could eventually get grubby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back