How to finish a small ledge at the end of the bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 30mm gap to make up between the end of the bath (head end) and the wall. I am going to create and tile a very small ledge to make it up but am wondering how to finish the tiles?

Should i make the ledge flush with the bath rim and finish the tile slightly overlapping onto the rim of the bath which seems most sensible but will leave me with the exposed edge of the tiles. I realise the silicone will cover it mostly anyway but was looking for your ideas on the neatest way to finish it?

Not worried about water ingress too much as i'll tank the ledge.

Sponsored Links
I normally screw a batten to the wall at bath height then lay the tile with a slight fall towards the bath and the lay the wall tiles onto that and then seal the joint

Thanks for the idea, i have put a batten in and will probably do just as you suggest but i was wondering what the regulars find the neatest solution?

Also when thinking about it i realised that not only will this give me a tile edge showing on the rim of the bath but it will also give me a tile edge and a small gap showing when the bath is viewed from the side.

i.e. if i were to put a standard bath panel on it would not meet the wall and have the same sized gap as the bath? any ideas for that?

I tend to have the tiles flush with the top of the bath and silicone the joint.

Sponsored Links
Don't mess about making a tiled shelf, it'll never be right. Go to a upvc supplier and get some 40mm pencil skirting, and use that to cover the gap. When fixed, finish off with a small bead of silicone sealer....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back