making a workshop out of thermalite blocks clan with wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok i was wondering whether i could build a shed using thermablocks which would then have batterns screwed into them so i could clan the outside with wood.I was considering having a metal pitched roof.Ideally i would like the workshop to be 18-20 ft long and 12foot wide 8ft high.The foundation will need to be floating as the ground it will sit on is basically leaf mould .I have tried to dig down to a clay strata but gave up after 7 ft.My thoughts were the thermablocks would be lighter than concrete and add some fire retardation and insulation quality to the workshop.
Any thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
The building will inevitably settle even with lightweight blocks.

The thought of erecting a large shed on leaf litter makes me shudder.

Lightweight blocks clad in timber sounds ok though.

I thought i would strenghten the floating foundation with metabar .I have read other posts relating to thermablocks which indicate they absorb water ,obviously i would hope the roof and wooden cladding will stop the rain getting in but would i need to do anything else? like moisure barrier ?

Go for a raft foundation in concrete least it will all move together when it does..

Sponsored Links
I'd just do a whole timber frame which would be lighter still, and more flexible. I can't see why you would want to use blockwork and then clad it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back