Making and fitting a new external door frame (to include window over door)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a circa 0.9m wide glazed external door where the frame has been badly bodged by some historic "carpentry" ! Consequently, I would like to rectify this and secure the entrance going forward.

I have a quote of around £1500 from a good chippie but in truth, I'd like to save that cash and do it myself, if possible. I have previously fitted hardwood internal door casings and hung new doors.

One issue is that there is a window over the door, again badly bodged and screwed shut. The external frame uprights seem solid and can be retained.

The biggest issues are that the door is not square in the frame nor do the uprights framing the door sit well with the profile of the header. I am assuming I will need to replace all 3 of these and pack out the spaces and insulate ?

Sounds fairly straightforward but not sure about whether to try and adapt or use a door frame kit or pick timber and make from scratch. if os, what timber to use ?

I have some tools, can get others I don't have within reason but I need to do this onsite and don't have a workshop to prepare in.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

P_20160808_124604 (576x1024).jpg

P_20160808_124553 (1024x576).jpg

P_20160808_124550 (1024x576).jpg

P_20160808_125029 (1024x576).jpg

Sponsored Links
You could get a quote to have the door and frame made to measure and then just install yourself?

You could get a quote to have the door and frame made to measure and then just install yourself?

Quote we have at circa £1500 or so was to reuse the existing door. Add another £500 or so for a new door !

It is commercial but in removing some machinery they cut through the existing header and the sides. Absolute mess but I'd rather not throw another £1500/2000 at it !

Quote we have at circa £1500 or so was to reuse the existing door. Add another £500 or so for a new door !

It is commercial but in removing some machinery they cut through the existing header and the sides. Absolute mess but I'd rather not throw another £1500/2000 at it !
Thought you wanted to fit yourself , so only the price of a door and frame?

Sponsored Links
Thought you wanted to fit yourself , so only the price of a door and frame?

Sorry, perhaps I was not clear.

If the cost to resolve it was say around £500 then we'd just have someone in. At £1500, I'm looking at how to do it myself.

There is nothing wrong with the door, only the frame is shot but it is complicated by the over door opening where reusing the existing window would require more care and skill than if it were not there.

If you can cut the window to the same width as the door you will make your life a lot easier because you can have a piece of timber going up each side of the door to form the sides of the frame. I think you could do this without any extra tools. If fitting on your own then winbags come in very handy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back