Making boxes

After some struggle, I have nailed down the solution. Had to enlarge the bracket hole to 5mm. It was 4.5 or something like that. The rivet is 4.8 Dia x 15mm. This is perfect for 8mm plank. The earlier rivet was unsuitable: too small and too short.

bracket-1.png
bracket-2.png

Sponsored Links
Rivets are a tidy solution, but they are impossible to work with when not using precision tools and measurements. So, I have to do one hole at a time. Here, I am using an M5 bolt to hold it in position while I mark other holes. It is not possible for me to drill the holes when the boards are riveted together.
holding.png

Sponsored Links
Rivets are extremely unforgiving to work with and require precision placement. It was impossible to drill precise holes by hand consistently. To overcome this , I "moved" imprecisely drilled holes to the require position by enlarging the holes in a particular direction. Using rivets is feasible but probably not practical in a box DIY given the effort needed. I will make more anyway. I have a need for 10 to 20 boxes. The fixings cost is:

6p bracket x 12 + 6p rivet * 24 = £2.16 per box, excluding some wastage.

The main cost is labour and electricity. The end result is cardboard box equivalent with x10 durability and x5 strength.

box.png

stuff.png

Last edited:
good job well done
i would put a say 4-6mm bead off silicon or no nails around the base inside to spread the load and will help contain spills and leaks

also worth thinking about handholds as laminate is very slippy

Last edited:
Gluing could have been done before the the panels were riveted on. The boards felt strong enough to not need it. Only time will tell if this belief is right.

Gluing could have been done before the the panels were riveted on. The boards felt strong enough to not need it. Only time will tell if this belief is right.
yes exactly right
the way i do it is to overengineer a bit to a lot till experience teaches you a lesson -----
---in general " experience " is often the best teacher you can have :unsure:
:giggle:

If pop riveting then use a rivet washer on the outside, or the head might dig in.
remember that the internal end will stick out a bit - easily sorted either with something gluelike to smooth the lump out or even just duct tape

Won't dig in on MDF, except maybe on the enlarged holes. MDF is formed with 20 ton pressure. HDF is higher.

I like your boxes, I don't understand why you couldn't have made a jig to drill all the holes in the right places. Alternatively, you could have used something like 15mm plastic angle with a few extra rivets - this would make them a bit more rigid and need less precision drilling - I wonder if those individual bracket will allow the boxes to "wobble" a bit - not that it will matter! Nice work.

I do like a lifetimes supply, unfortunately I'm already on my second "lifetimes" supply of work gloves and angle grinder blades.

No wobble here. Steady as a sky scraper. The latest cost on rivets is 2.7p each. The drill could be used to shave material from imprecise holes. The precision requirement is not as high as originally thought.

boxes.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back