Idea: Make a large storage box with no nails just STRONG magnets

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an idea...
Make a storage box... Say 80cm x 40cm x 40cm...
Make each side...
And then use super strong magnets to join them.

Make sides super strong magnets.
For the lid, use magnets that are less strong.

I think it's an amazing idea!
Are there any flaws to the idea?

I was thinking of using coin magnets spaced out a few cm apart.

Sponsored Links
Flaws, if you need lots of strong magnets the cost will be prohibitive, matching the load capacity of conventional construction virtually impossible.

Depending what weight you intended to put in there they would have to be super strong, I think suitable magnets will cost you more then say screws/nails. What is the pro vs con of having a box held together by magnets.

I see con’s as could fall a part easily depending on weight, metal objects inside risk sticking to the magnets, dangerous if you put your finger or other body part between something that will suddenly pull together by strong magnets you risk breaking or losing a digit, cost of magnets out weighs convenience.

magnets wont work in my humble opinion as you will get sideways slipage
if its for something that is constanty being moved and reassembled then maybe

Sponsored Links
Try magnets out of old computor hard drives , you wouldn't need so many. They are unbelievably powerful, so much so that they can take a chunk of flesh if your not carefull with them..dont ask how I know?
litl

neodymium magnets will do this for you, however I'd be worried about them attracting everything metal.

hmmm... just an idea :)
thanks for replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back