making concrette shower base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to build a tiled shower base.
Can anyone suggest the following
• What would be the best mix ratio for the base(concrete)
• What additives should I put in the base mix
• What coatings should I put on the base when finished (prior to tiles)
• What is the best tile adhesive to use
• What is the best grout to use

Anything else that I have missed.

Ta
George

Sponsored Links
I've never built one, but this is the way I understand they're done in North America:

1. You basically start by shaping a brick mortar (not concrete) base so that you have drainage toward a drain, and allow that to harden. (Don't ask me why they use brick mortar instead of concrete. I only THINK it might be because brick mortar remains highly shapeable for longer.)

2. You then use either asphalt or some sort of adhesive to stick a rubber shower pan liner down onto that surface sloped toward the drain. These shower pan liners come preformed with a rubber collar that fits around the drain.

3. Then you put another bed of mortar over that, but shape the top of this layer so that you have a shallower slope toward the drain so that the floor is safer to stand on when it's wet.

4. Then you tile over that upper layer of mortar by setting tile in a thin set mortar.

I don't know how they get the upper bed of mortar to bond to the rubber shower pan liner.

The idea behind this design is that even if the tiled floor leaks, the rubber shower pan liner will intercept any leaking water and direct it into the drain so that there's no water damage to any wooden structure under the shower area.

GeoH
hiya ...
was substrate are you ...?

I mean this is on a concrete floor or upstairs wooden/joisted floors , ??

if downstairs .. on concrete floor ...do as Nestor says ...

upstairs , you need to remove floor boards , an strenthen the joists with noggins , at 600mm spacing ...
cover with 18 mm marine ply ... some use WBP ply but after 25 yrs in bath refits pay more for the best .. :)
screw down to joist every 400mm leaving expansion of 3mm between 2ft by 2ft sheets , however easier for you ....

use a tanking system .... many on the market go to a tile shop they will push who ever , you get the paint system an rubber mating ...

WP1 Tanking System,
for the professional touch when waterproofing showers and wet rooms.
8 kg of WP1 to turn that water sensertive background to waterproof.

by the way always use bal powder adhesive
bal grout
never use shed tub mix ...THIS IS A MUST ON WET AREAS ...

topps an most tile shops will advice ... you best stuff ... pay a lil more
get BOSS materials an a job that lasts ... your saving on labour any way

hope this helps you ? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back