making doors out of existing walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done my door and wall diagram of two of the doors and wall that I need. What do you think? Do you think it will work or not?

door and wall diagram.jpg

Sponsored Links
That or you might want to consider a surface mounted type of hinge instead
door-hinge-d5-stainless-steel.jpg

Short sided door hinge, but only if the plywood and door are not heavily enough framed to be able to use butt hinges or similar

Short sided door hinge,

Short sided door hinge, is that the proper name of the hinge you show above in the photo (just so I know what to ask for at the shop)
Did John/ JW2 not mention something about needing a differnet type of hinge for this kind of wood or frame before in this thread; is this the one he was on about?

but only if the plywood and door are not heavily enough framed to be able to use butt hinges or similar
In the diagram above; I plan to use the 1" thick fiberglass spayed ply wood. For some reason this is indeed very heavy stuff. But also in that diagram I propped to us 9mm OSB boards as doors, so not very heavy or strong

What is a Butt hinge?

Surely you will need to add a stiffening reinforcement found the edges

And a lock rail

like an LBF door

And the cut edges need sealing and/or lipped
Was it you that surgested I use a different type of door hinge for this type of wood? (please see above thread)

Sponsored Links
Was it you that surgested I use a different type of door hinge for this type of wood? (please see above thread)
Yes. It was me. The issue isn't the type of wood - it is the structure of the material. Put simply, wood screws are designed to hold when driven into the face of materials like timber, plywood, chipboard, etc. They have very poor holding ability when driven into end grain of timber or edges of man made boards. This is why you need to either use a hinge similar to the type I posted above, or you need to add some form of framing (such as, say, 2 x 2in softwood) to the backs of the doors which can be used to carry the hinges

What is a Butt hinge?
Ever heard of Google? Amazing app...

Yes. It was me. The issue isn't the type of wood - it is the structure of the material. Put simply, wood screws are designed to hold when driven into the face of materials like timber, plywood, chipboard, etc. They have very poor holding ability when driven into end grain of timber or edges of man made boards. This is why you need to either use a hinge similar to the type I posted above, or you need to add some form of framing (such as, say, 2 x 2in softwood) to the backs of the doors which can be used to carry the hinges
So its "short sided door hinges" I need from ironmongery right?
Can I use nuts and bolts/ couch bolts instead of screws?

So its "short sided door hinges" I need from ironmongery right?
Again, try Google. I have posted what one supplier calls them, plus a photo so ypu know what they look like. Somehow I think they are not quite something that B&Q will have in stock.

Can I use nuts and bolts/ couch bolts instead of screws?
Your choice. I've seen these used with wood screws on boats and in caravans, and countersunk head machine screws on metal vehicle bodies. There is also a version designed to be installed using rivets (although notcreally suitsble for used on timber IMHO) . Coach bolts obviously won't fit into a countersunk hole, so would be a poor choice

I can not find those short sided door hinges listed in my usual tool station shop

But onto my next question I guess; If I am only using 9mm OCB timber as the door than standard door handels will not fit! as the door is to thin. Any ideas what I could use as a door opener and closure, so you turn the handel to click shut the door or to open a shut door?

Thanks

I can not find those short sided door hinges listed in my usual tool station shop
Try a proper (architectural) ironmonger or do a Google search. Whilst they are fine for a lot of run of the mill stuff (but not everything), Toolstation and Screwfix really have very limited selections when it comes to a lot of things. SFX in particular is my supplier of last choice

If I am only using 9mm OCB timber as the door than standard door handels will not fit! as the door is to thin. Any ideas what I could use as a door opener and closure, so you turn the handel to click shut the door or to open a shut door?
WTF? I can hardly think of a worse material than OSB (I presume that's what you mean - Oriented Strand Board) to make up doors. Thin OSB would really need to be on some sort of (softwood) framing and on its' own is too thin to hold screws which will carry hinges, etc. It needs some sort of frame

Go off and take a look at how doors are done in real caravans, motor homes and boats - then you'll have some idea of how to do the job instead of thrashing around, clueless.

Is it me or is this turning into the house that Jack built?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a proper (architectural) ironmonger or do a Google search. Whilst they are fine for a lot of run of the mill stuff (but not everything), Toolstation and Screwfix really have very limited selections when it comes to a lot of things. SFX in particular is my supplier of last choice
So every town has one (or did have once upon a time anyway) A local hard wear store with ironmonger section

WTF? I can hardly think of a worse material than OSB (I presume that's what you mean - Oriented Strand Board) to make up doors. Thin OSB would really need to be on some sort of (softwood) framing and on its' own is too thin to hold screws which will carry hinges, etc. It needs some sort of frame
So do you think I am better off using the 1" thick fiber glass spayed plywood (the same as the walls) as door then the OSB stuff?

So every town has one (or did have once upon a time anyway) A local hard wear store with ironmonger section
I wish you would read what is written then use Google to inform yourself better. A hardware store generally isn't an archtectural ironmonger.

If you want a couple of examples of the sorts of firms you need to look for, Google "Fletchers Waterfoot" (one of the few traditional genuine hardware/ironmongers shops I know of - most people using the term these days don't know the trade and are often just selling cheap Chinese tat) and "Abbey Architectural Rochdale" (an architectural ironmongers). I know we live in an Internet world, but it is often better to visit this sort of firm in person as they sell a huge range of stuff which isn't, and never will be, on their web sites (or possibly anyone else's). Information is often within printed catalogues in their "library", and a knowledgeable assistant will often be able to recommend a product

So do you think I am better off using the 1" thick fiber glass spayed plywood (the same as the walls) as door then the OSB stuff?
Ask yourself a question; how am I going to fix hinges and locks to the material I intend to use? OSB is a poor choice unless it is on some sort of frame. Trust me, I'm a chippy. And maybe do some experimentation of your own, too

I wish you would read what is written then use Google to inform yourself better. A hardware store generally isn't an archtectural ironmonger.

If you want a couple of examples of the sorts of firms you need to look for, Google "Fletchers Waterfoot" (one of the few traditional genuine hardware/ironmongers shops I know of - most people using the term these days don't know the trade and are often just selling cheap Chinese tat) and "Abbey Architectural Rochdale" (an architectural ironmongers). I know we live in an Internet world, but it is often better to visit this sort of firm in person as they sell a huge range of stuff which isn't, and never will be, on their web sites (or possibly anyone else's). Information is often within printed catalogues in their "library", and a knowledgeable assistant will often be able to recommend a product
Im based in Manchester!

Ask yourself a question; how am I going to fix hinges and locks to the material I intend to use? OSB is a poor choice unless it is on some sort of frame. Trust me, I'm a chippy. And maybe do some experimentation of your own, too

I though you said before that the matirial of the doors would be better if it was lighter then the matiral of the walls. So on that notion is OSB not OK for this? If I use thoughs type of door hinges you surgested before would that not work? but instead of a screw use a nut and bolt that the bolt head wiill fit inside the grove of the hinge

Other then that then I dont know what ells to use! as the walls are only 1" thick and not wide enough to fit a standard house hold door with its frame. How dose a door frame surport a door batter with a frame, its still the same hinges that takes all the weight righ?

++++++++++++++
Moderators note

This long thread is going nowhere and does not look serious.

It is now locked

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you make your doors out of 9mm OSB, and bolt the hinges in place, it will look like cr@p. The edges of OSB are really rough, because that is the nature of OSB. All this makes me wonder if you have even seen OSB

The solution is probably to frame the door openings with softwood - 2 x 2in or even 2 x 1in edge on because you really need to stiffen the door opening (have a look at some mobile homes or static caravans to see how they do it). You seemingly haven't figured out how you are going to fix the plywood vertically, yet, and without doing that I can't see any way to progress

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back