making doors out of existing walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be putting some 4'x'8' sheets of 1" thick plywood (plus fiber glass bough sided sprayed) timber up as walls soon but I need a door from them. I have a sneaky suspison that cutting a door out of it and hinging it on wont work, but what do you think?

Sponsored Links
I think you may be incorrect. I have an entire wall in my house that is hinged so it can be opened and closed to reconfigure the house for open (parties) or closed plan

This hinged wall also contains its own pair of double doors for access between rooms when the wall is closed

Draw a sketch of what you're planning to do

It will likely bow. But depends on whether its in the garage or the grand hallway as to if it matters or what precautions to take.

I will be putting some 4'x'8' sheets of 1" thick plywood (plus fiber glass bough sided sprayed) timber up as walls soon but I need a door from them. I have a sneaky suspison that cutting a door out of it and hinging it on wont work, but what do you think?
Why ply for walls?

Sponsored Links
Surely you will need to add a stiffening reinforcement found the edges

And a lock rail

like an LBF door

And the cut edges need sealing and/or lipped

Last edited:
I think you may be incorrect. I have an entire wall in my house that is hinged so it can be opened and closed to reconfigure the house for open (parties) or closed plan

This hinged wall also contains its own pair of double doors for access between rooms when the wall is closed

Draw a sketch of what you're planning to do
sure I would if I could do, but no scanner.
That sound an interesting plan you have there, any photos or sketchs please?

It will likely bow. But depends on whether its in the garage or the grand hallway as to if it matters or what precautions to take.
Im putting walls up inside of a 45' box trailer.
Bow???

Why ply for walls?
You see the box trailers come in as scrap and they want to wight in the metal for cash. but the plywood walls are just waste so they need red of them so happy to give them away. I would imagine that 1" thick ply wood then sprayed bough sides with fiber glass brand new is going to be very expencive

Surely you will need to add a stiffening reinforcement found the edges

And a lock rail

like an LBF door

And the cut edges need sealing and/or lipped
sorry I dont understand any of what you are saying

A fundamental question has to be how do you intend to fix the plywood in place? You will presumably need to secure the plywood top and bottom with some form of metal track section or timber framework

Then how do you intend to hinge the doors? Presumably you intend to have a door which is something like 1800 to 2000mm tall x 750mm wide? That in turn seems to imply that some form of framing (e.g. metal or 44x 44mm CLS softwood or the like) running floor to ceiling around the door openings would be required around the door opening to provide sufficient stiffness (even 25mm plywood can flex and bow) as well as something to fix hinges to, because.edge grain plywood has no strength (screws driven into it will pull out very easily which is not much use for conventional butt type hinges)

sorry I dont understand any of what you are saying
LBF means Ledged, Braced and Framed, to give the door strength and rigidity.

This picture shows a door made of boards. The horizontal pieces are called ledges. You'll need as a minimum one at the top and one at the bottom. The middle one improves it and you can put a lock there.

The diagonals are called Braces, to prevent the door sagging and to carry the weight to the hinges. As your door is faced with ply these are less important.

A Frame is reinforcement going all round the sides top and bottom, which greatly improves strength and rigidity and allows you to fit hinges, bolts and locks.

The cut edges of ply allow water to penetrate which will quickly degrade it and it will fall apart. Lipping on a door is strip of wood fixed to the edges to protect and seal them

Edit
Here's one,

1689511548930.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back