Making good plaster around new windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having a bit of trouble finding a plasterer to make good the area around some new windows I've had fitted.

I've had a few quotes and I keep getting told different things. The main thing I'm trying to avoid is huge architrave that covers the whole span of the gap. One person told me there was no other way as if they were to plaster the gap it would just crack. The window installer told me plastering up to the stop bead would be fine.We're thinking of adding a small architrave (say 7 cm wide) to frame the window. The channel with foam is about 6cm wide, and in eluding the missing plaster at the widest it's about 12cm.

Here's a shot of the surround:

k9nnzAa.jpg

What would be the best way/material to make good?

Sponsored Links
The main thing I'm trying to avoid is huge architrave that covers the whole span of the gap. One person told me there was no other way as if they were to plaster the gap it would just crack. The window installer told me plastering up to the stop bead would be fine.
I think your window installer is wrong, and that he should have made good the gap by covering it with a 65 or 95 x 6mm pencil round architrave and doing some judicious filling where required. If you can get away with 75 or 80mm trim width, PVCu cuts readily using a circular saw and a fine tooth blade, so ripping it down shouldn't cause problems. It also planes with a sharp hand plane should minor adjustments be necessary

The only other way I can see to plaster that lot is to strip out the whole window reveal, reboard it, fit new corner beads and reskim/repair as required. Anything else risks the plaster cracking over time as you have been told

Last edited by a moderator:
Two options, you either have a crap job with a plastic or wooden cover moulding, or a proper job with a corner bead and plaster which may involve removing more of the existing to bond and blend everything in.

What do you want to look at for the rest of your life?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back