Making good render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'd like to make this garage look better.

render2.jpg

The old garage door was mounted on the outside and the render was applied around it. Now the old door is removed the ring of brickwork leaves a little to be desired.

Is rendering the remaining bits realistic for a DIYer? If so any guides on the process that i can follow? I'm thinking about doing the render myself and then repainting all of it so it's no longer ****ing magnolia.

Also, there is at least one section (top left corner) which is coming away from the brickwork, I guess i'll need to pull that off and re-render that as well.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
if your’e as creative with cement as you are with drainage you’ll be fine:LOL:.
you’ll have to batten it out to give yourself a guide to work to.
looks flat enough so you could do it in one hit.
5:1:1/2 sand cement lime with waterproofer.
not really a good time of year for rendering.

if your’e as creative with cement as you are with drainage you’ll be fine:LOL:.
you’ll have to batten it out to give yourself a guide to work to.
looks flat enough so you could do it in one hit.
5:1:1/2 sand cement lime with waterproofer.
not really a good time of year for rendering.
Is it the rain or the cold? I've been meaning to do this one for months now so waiting a little longer won't hurt.

Is there any priming I should do to the brick work first? In some other creative work I've done the flashband I used peeled off.

And yes, the guttering is rather unique. Im putting that off until I redo the drive way. :(

Sponsored Links
not quite cold enough to worry about but the rain is a nightmare outside.
water doesn’t evaporate out of the cement this time of year . could be waiting for hours to float up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back