Making good use of district heating - or not!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some help with a system design and if it's feasible.

Sorry for lengthy post...

District heating to a maisonette on a housing estate. Private owner who is spending a lot on the property.

Currently a 3 pipe system, supplying seasonal primary for CH and constant for DHW via vented cylinder and cwsc just above it.

Customer wants unvented (200l) and grnd floor UFH with 4 rads and towel rail in bathroom upstairs.

Housing association plan to offer UV set-up to dwellings, via new 2 pipe system, in next 2 years, as part of buy-in scheme.

Customer wants to install this, NOW, but facility will be included for system to be jumped over to new supplies, in the future, with minimal disturbance to fabric and decor being done now.

Plan is to use the current DHW primary (always on) to supply both DHW and CH.
BUT... System water is dreadful! A mixture of ancient pipe materials and less-than-adequate maintenance means it has the consistency (but not the flavour) of KFC chicken gravy .

So, I'm thinking a PHE to keep it hydraulically separated, but worry about flow temps and rates, which are beyond my control. And also about how often it would clog strainers and mag filters.

Trying to obtain pump flow rates from estate engineers, which is proving tricky.

Flow temps from my testo smart probes yield a flow temp of 67. 2°c and return of 57°c at POU.
Which doesn't bode well for loss through PHE.

Can this even work?

Your thoughts please.

TIA

PS... this is copy of my OP, posted on another group, and there have been some suggestions but and I have some more thoughts but nothing yet shouts eureka, so hence this post.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
you would be well advised to look at the T&Cs of the district heating, I would doubt if you are allowed to change anything

you would be well advised to look at the T&Cs of the district heating, I would doubt if you are allowed to change anything

Ian. I have been in discussion with them from the get go... Give me some credit... I'm not a bloody freshman FFS.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back