Making good vertical gaps in skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DIY skirting board installation. Only used mitre box and looking for a solution to make good the mm gaps that are left behind.

Is there a specific type of caulk that would work best prior to painting?

I know the job isn’t a pro finish by any stretch so be kind!
Cheers.

Attachments

• C543C08F-46A6-43FD-842E-CD176ABB54C2.jpeg
    C543C08F-46A6-43FD-842E-CD176ABB54C2.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 195
Sponsored Links
Good quality caulk is the easiest.
Apply than wipe excess with damp cloth.
Otherwise a flexible filler and sanding.
Did you glue the skirting as well as bolting it in?

:eek::eek::eek:
Good quality caulk is the easiest.
Apply than wipe excess with damp cloth.
Otherwise a flexible filler and sanding.
Did you glue the skirting as well as bolting it in?

Some of the skirting I have used grip-it as well. But where the edges meet I’d read to use PVA but in all honesty wasn’t sure how to keep them pressed together for long enough ... some of them still have a bit of give right at the ends so could also be stuck if I knew how to do it

Sponsored Links
If there is a next time, scribe the internal corner not mitre, then you wont see any gaps so much.

If there is a next time, scribe the internal corner not mitre, then you wont see any gaps so much.
That's what i do when the skirting is being stained or varnished.
With white a lot of stuff can be hidden and a mitre cut takes seconds

May take seconds, but over time internal mitres invariably open up and grin back at you with a nice gap... Which is the reason why you scribe

Last edited by a moderator:
May take seconds, but over time internal mitres invariably open up and grin back at you...
Then it's time to redecorate (y)
Jokes apart, if the skirting is fixed properly it would take years for a gap to crack.
External corners are a different matter, they must be perfect from the start.

Not always. I've seen stuff which has been cowboyed in needing replacement in as little as 6 months on new builds - or basically the first really warm weather (after a winter fit out) or after the central heating has been on for a month or two in winter (after a summer fit out). Granted softwood is worse than MDF by a long chalk

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back