making loft useable, step by step.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my house I want to make use of the loft. I basically have a 3 fold plan:

1) Slap some scrap wood down so I can put some boxes up there (this weekend)

2) Put a floor down and some wall/ceiling insulation +ladder to make better use of the space. (next year)

3) Full loft conversion (not a definite and wouldn’t be anytime soon)

problems so far:

1) the loft has been re-insulated by putting new insulation over the existing +over the rafters etc I can put big boards on top of this to spread the load though -it will compress the insulation but hopefully this wont be too big of a problem

2) I will need to reroute the electric cables etc, but the insulation as described in 1 will now be more of a problem. If I take out the original insulation I guess I could pack the newer stuff in-between the joists? The bigger problem is then insulating the walls/ceiling. The roof has been put on with no felt it appears to be in good condition but I will have another look when its been raining. I presume I will need to leave a gap (how big?) between the tiles and any insulation I put in? anything else? –any kind of membrane? -what kind of insulation? –what should I be looking to do here I don’t have a clue!

3) not worth discussing yet but just to be aware of it so 1 & 2 don’t unnecessarily hinder it.

-please offer your advice!

Sponsored Links
MMmm, well firstly to make the loft useable for storeage i would place down cross battening timbers (ones that run 90deg to ceiling joists) between the insulation laid on top, any old off cuts of timber from merchants will do as long as its to required depth. Then put your boarding ontop. Squashing the insulation will hinder its performance.
Secondly to make the space more habitable, well at this point you should choose if you are converting the space or just want to make it less dusty. Converting will require the ceiling joists are made larger to take the additional load and may have headroom, stairs issues. Doing half a job that you will have to dismantle in the future seems a waste of money and time.
Thirdly, converting the space is a costly process, will involve loosing some space on the floor below to fit a staircase and may require new dormers/windows. Mostly if there is no felt you will probably need to remove tiles, refelt the battens and relay tiles, or replace whole roof.

Static said:
MMmm, well firstly to make the loft useable for storeage i would place down cross battening timbers (ones that run 90deg to ceiling joists) between the insulation laid on top, any old off cuts of timber from merchants will do as long as its to required depth.
-so effectively raise the floor level, using the raise to store the newer insulation?

Static said:
Squashing the insulation will hinder its performance.
yeah I figured, maybe I should do some measuring to see how much space I have and how much I need!

Static said:
Secondly to make the space more habitable, well at this point you should choose if you are converting the space or just want to make it less dusty. Converting will require the ceiling joists are made larger to take the additional load and may have headroom, stairs issues..
less dusty at this stage is probably more like it but some insulation wouldn’t go a miss so I can maybe get the scalextric out up there or something, -whats the best way to go a) 'less dusty' and b) 'less dusty with some insulation'?

Static said:
Doing half a job that you will have to dismantle in the future seems a waste of money and time.
yeah, but in all realism it would probably be quite a few years before it was done and I intend doing steps 1 and 2 as cheap as possible.

Static said:
Thirdly, converting the space is a costly process, will involve loosing some space on the floor below to fit a staircase and may require new dormers/windows. Mostly if there is no felt you will probably need to remove tiles, refelt the battens and relay tiles, or replace whole roof.
there are a couple of places a staircase could go (both with there pros and cons but I wont go into that now). Yes a window would need putting in. and there are 2 beams that connect each side of the roof so they would have to go and some strengthening else ware, but I’m not worrying about that for now. I guess my question for now is: how do I insulate the roof without having it replaced with a felted roof?

so effectively raise the floor level, using the raise to store the newer insulation?
Effectively yes. The cross battening is non structural and mainly to allow the insulation breathing room.

less dusty at this stage is probably more like it but some insulation wouldn’t go a miss so I can maybe get the scalextric out up there or something, -whats the best way to go a) 'less dusty' and b) 'less dusty with some insulation'?
Hmm, if you insulate between the rafters one of 2 things will happen eventually. 1) a tile will slip allowing water to run onto the insulation boarding which is waterproof and then collects on the rafters slowly rotting them away. or 2) a tile will slip allowing water to run onto the insulation boarding which isn't waterproof rotting the insulation and causing a big mess. I would recommend you line the roof with a brown paper between the battens this will cut down the dust in the roof dramatically and if anything moves you will see it as the paper will disintergrate.
See how warm/cold it is up there in summer and winter. Mostly youll find that if you insulate the space completely there will be 2 weeks mid winter when the loft space is bareable rest of the year it will be like a sauna.

Sponsored Links
Thank you static for all of your help. before i go any further can anybody else offer any more advice/ recomendations /experiance?

edit: -in terms of building regulations as far as i saw it before i either i inform or i dont, -i thought this was simply a case of if i dont do it to regs then i cant calss it as a bedroom when selling, but reading on Hull CC's building control website it says:

Anyone carrying out building work without approval is breaking the law and can therefore be subject to legal action. This can result in a fine of up to £5,000, administered through the Magistrates Courts.

-so does this apply to plan 2 as well as 3, and can i do 3 (or a 2.5) and not to regs, but just as some extra 'more conveniant storage space'(ie not a bedroom) -i know many others have, obviously it wont add as much value to the house but will it land me in trouble?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back