Making vinyl less slippy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

Today i replaced the flooring on the downstairs toilet, with vinyl tiles, i needed something cheap and it looks decent.

The walls are not straight (wrong choice of plasterer) which resulted in some gaps and i sealed them with a hybrid silicone/polymer sealant.

However the flooring is quite slippy, is there anything i can spray on to give it a more non stick finish?

I have been googling for the last hour or so but havent found anything convincing, cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hey just pumps, bit confused surely cleaning the vinyl wont make it less slippy?

Sponsored Links
Not really viable but I used to work with barefoot dance companies.
stage floor is basically a Lino type floor and shod dancers use rosin on their shoes for grip.
we used to wash the floor with Coca Cola to get a nice sticky floor.
Nothing worse than a dancer flying off the stage edge

A couple of years ago, the guy who laid our (grey) vinyl strip flooring used grey silicone to fill some of the gaps. He then used a wet sponge to remove the excess. Boy... was that slippery...

I had to wash it with numerous products over a two week period to sort it out.

"anti-slip coating" gives numerous hits. None suitable?
The ones i looked at were either a ridiculous price or not suitable for vinyl, but ill take another google thanks :)

A couple of years ago, the guy who laid our (grey) vinyl strip flooring used grey silicone to fill some of the gaps. He then used a wet sponge to remove the excess. Boy... was that slippery...

I had to wash it with numerous products over a two week period to sort it out.

Yeh there are more gaps at the seams than i would like, and i could only think of silicone to seal (i used clear) it prob isnt helping with the slippiness to be honest

Well i am going to give a spray from toolstation a try, if it sucks i will use grip tape i guess!

Thanks guys

Well i am going to give a spray from toolstation a try, if it sucks i will use grip tape i guess!

Thanks guys

I think I used a concentrated citrus (alkali) cleaner from Selco, but applied it neat. And washed it quite a few times.

I would imagine that vinyl floor manufacturers test the co-efficient of friction before releasing a product.

I did my quite large kitchen/dinner floor with vinyl a couple of years ago, as a cheap fix - two things I noticed...

1. It was at first quite delicate easy to tear, but that seemed to pass and the surface toughened up in time.

2. It was also quite skiddy, a good wash with just soap and water sorted that out.

Since when, it has given surprisingly good service.

I did my quite large kitchen/dinner floor with vinyl a couple of years ago, as a cheap fix - two things I noticed...

1. It was at first quite delicate easy to tear, but that seemed to pass and the surface toughened up in time.

2. It was also quite skiddy, a good wash with just soap and water sorted that out.

Since when, it has given surprisingly good service.

Cheers, i gave it a wash then sprayed with some anti skid spray, so far it has worked! but time will tell i guess :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back