Makita 10.8v v Makita Combi Dril

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been given one of these:
upload_2021-1-11_9-16-8.png

My initial thoughts were that it could be useful to build cabinets, furniture, etc.

I also own one of these and use it on a regular basis to drill (has hammer action) and drive screws:

upload_2021-1-11_9-20-0.png

This has variable torque and speed settings which allows me to adjust for different levels of sensitivity. For example, I recently used setting "1" for MDF screws that I was using. I've not used this for IKEA furniture but assume that this setting would also suffice for that. Incidentally, I also own a Makita Impact driver for where the extra umph is required to drive screws.

Q. Will the small Makita above actually add any capability? I appreciate its smaller and lighter but I am a DIY'er and not reliant on this everyday. If it does add capability, I will need to consider purchasing a charger and possibly an extra battery. The costs will start to rack up...
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the above and some examples of potential applications, if available.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I also own an 18v Makita Impact Driver. What does the above offer in addition to these?

Sponsored Links
less impact/torque - but as you say lighter and smaller
10.8v impact around Max Torque (Nm): 110
May have a LED to light the work area
The 18v you have may have Max Torque (Nm): 165

So it maybe useful for furniture or small jobs , given you already have an impact driver
Replacement battery and charger are going to be expensive for something you may not need.
I assume you did not get given a battery charger with the driver
the battery maybe old and looks like the drill has been used a lot, so may not be much life left in the battery

Why was it given to you ?

less impact/torque
If I wanted less torque than my 18v Impact Driver, presumably I could use my Combi Drill on a low setting?

So it maybe useful for furniture or small jobs
Could I use my combi drill on a low setting with these? I tend not to use the impact driver with these type of applications as it can be difficult to control and hence, too brutal!

Replacement battery and charger are going to be expensive for something you may not need.
That appears to be the case from my initial investigation. That's why I wanted to be sure whether it has any use - given my other tools.

Why was it given to you ?
My uncle who is a builder didn't have any use for it and handed it to me as a budding DIY'er. Unfortunately, his charger packed up (probably when he decided to give it to me!). It's all in working order. He was happy for me to sell it if I didn't have any use for it...

personally i would probably sell it , as you already have an impact driver, and quite an investment in another battery & charger Setup
Flat pack with locking mech i use a normal screwdriver
For furniture i have made , and fitting brackets , furniture blocks - i use my impact , BUT it has 3 torque settings.
I have a 2 speed right angle drill and have screwed brackets, curtain rails in with that and with a flexible extension

So i would have thought the low setting on your drill maybe good enough, if you hve a scape of wood and bracket and small screws , i would give it a try
But I'm just a DIYer and NOT a builder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back